986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   90000 service and complete brakes on back and front. (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/58477-90000-service-complete-brakes-back-front.html)

022520 08-25-2015 05:59 AM

90000 service and complete brakes on back and front.

$3k from indie garage. Reasonable charge? Brakes include front and back pads and rotors sensors, etc. pDs are akebonos. Also reset airbag light and a few other minor r and r's.

Thanks, Larry

Carlisabadman986 08-25-2015 06:03 AM

Curious where are you getting the work done? I am in NOVA

DrCactus 08-25-2015 06:22 AM

I did my own brakes in about 30mins front and back - I couldn't believe how SIMPLE it was to do it. I still cant believe how much dealer or other shops charge for something so simple to do.

JayG 08-25-2015 06:45 AM

$3k?? really depends on what is being done. Does that include a clutch?
otherwise that sound pretty high for just a general service

Brakes are a really easy DIY. ~$200- $500+ depending on pads and rotors
Buy a Motive power bleeder ($75) and bleeding is super easy

oil change - super easy DIY ~$60-150 depending on what oil you use
At 90k it may include a transmission fluid change, but that should not be more than a few $100 tops

to reset an airbag light you need a Durametric ($300) or a PWIS (big bucks)
A durametric would be useful for lot of other things as well, its a good thing to have, or buy it to reset the light and then you can sell it for $200 easy

022520 08-25-2015 08:27 AM

Yeah,

Work being done at European motors in Catonsville Maryland. Maybe do the brakes myself next time but don't have time or inclination now. So original question stands. Reasonable price from a garage?

EJ-Fresno 08-25-2015 08:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 022520 (Post 463223)
Yeah,

Work being done at European motors in Catonsville Maryland. Maybe do the brakes myself next time but don't have time or inclination now. So original question stands. Reasonable price from a garage?

If it's only the brakes + rotors job, no it's not reasonable.
But I assume it includes other stuffs as well: spark plugs, filters, oil change...?

CDNIcecube 08-25-2015 08:54 AM

If it only includes brake pads + rotors on all 4 corners, it is not reasonable. Even here in Canada where we get it up our _ss, it is not reasonable. For $3,000 US, there most be more work done, no?

particlewave 08-25-2015 09:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 022520 (Post 463223)
Yeah,

Without knowing what work is being done, no one can answer your question.

Myoung73 08-25-2015 09:52 AM

Agree. Unless the 90k service / etc. is a lot of work that amount sounds high. I had pads and rotors all around for about $1600 this year I think. Rotors are brembo I believe not sure on pads but I know the shop uses quality stuff. This is for a 2003 s too so brakes are a bit bigger than non s.

kk2002s 08-25-2015 10:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EJ-Fresno (Post 463224)
If it's only the brakes + rotors job, no it's not reasonable.
But I assume it includes other stuffs as well: spark plugs, filters, oil change...?

Still un-reasonable
Maybe including all above + Water Pump, AOS, Low temp thermostat, Brake and Coolant flush

A DIYer could buy all above and still do the clutch for $3k

We need the facts - What all was done for $3k???

EJ-Fresno 08-25-2015 10:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kk2002s (Post 463240)
Still un-reasonable
Maybe including all above + Water Pump, AOS, Low temp thermostat, Brake and Coolant flush

A DIYer could buy all above and still do the clutch for $3k

We need the facts - What all was done for $3k???

Agree, all filters run for less than $100 :D

022520 08-25-2015 11:41 AM

Ok,

Thought everyone would be familiar with the 90k service but guess I was wrong. So here's a more detailed list of the work

Change all filters
Flush and replace coolant
Change spark plugs
Change oil
Inspect a litany of things and fluids top off as needed
Brakes included akebono pads on all wheels
Oem rotors
Oem sensors

The r and r items included reset airbag light, replace a cpl of fuses, so let me ask my question a different way. Does anyone have experience with this work being done by an indie garage and, if so, how did your costs compare?

022520 08-25-2015 11:44 AM

Also transmission service and standard fluid replacement

022520 08-25-2015 11:47 AM

Also flush and replace brake fluid

particlewave 08-25-2015 11:47 AM

Of course we all know what a standard 90k service entails, but that does not mean that was what you were having done (by the book).

That price is ridiculous, which is why most were wondering if something more major were included, like a clutch job, but I thought that would have been obvious by the responses.

steved0x 08-25-2015 11:57 AM

That's a lot of stuff, and if it is OEM Porsche parts then the parts cost alone would be a lot, especially counting all new brakes/rotors/pads.

One way to estimate cost and hours would be to go to 101 Projects Website and look at the various projects that cover the work listed above. Each project has a time range, complexity, and a list of necessary parts. You could add them up and see if the labor/parts cost matches up with your $3000 estimate. (I am not sure of your year but if 2002 or less then you would probably want to do spark plug tubes/O-rings as part of the spark plug service)

I have done all of the items on your list over the last 2 years myself as DIY projects. The tools needed (jack, jack stands, UView airlift for coolant flush, motive bleeder for brakes, specialized wrenches and so forth) plus all the parts came to way less than $3000. But I had a lot of sweating, grunting, and trips to the chiropractor too when it was all said and done. :) But I learned a lot and had fun doing it. It is a hobby :) And I am not an experienced car person, this is actually the first car I have ever worked on.

That seems a little high, but then I have not recently priced out all the parts either. Or added up the labor. Sorry that I don't have a definitive yes/no but the info above may help you decide.

Good luck!

Steve

JayG 08-25-2015 12:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 022520 (Post 463256)
Ok,

Thought everyone would be familiar with the 90k service but guess I was wrong. So here's a more detailed list of the work

Change all filters
Flush and replace coolant
Change spark plugs
Change oil
Inspect a litany of things and fluids top off as needed
Brakes included akebono pads on all wheels
Oem rotors
Oem sensors

The r and r items included reset airbag light, replace a cpl of fuses, so let me ask my question a different way. Does anyone have experience with this work being done by an indie garage and, if so, how did your costs compare?

Quote:

Originally Posted by 022520 (Post 463258)
Also transmission service and standard fluid replacement

Quote:

Originally Posted by 022520 (Post 463259)
Also flush and replace brake fluid

Are you getting at least a reach around for that service @ $3000?
That list for $3k means you are getting screwed

even at factory pricing, that list should be well under $1500

Xpit77 08-26-2015 09:05 AM

That`s top dollar for that work. Must been a ton of labour charges, disposal fees and tax.

Retroman1969 08-27-2015 12:00 AM

I added up what the individual costs of those services would be at my shop and it came to a little under $2,000.
My weekender Boxster came with a book of receipts including the 90,000 mile service from the dealership which was around $2,400.

022520 08-27-2015 04:25 AM

Ok,

So I got one response that said 2400 for a 90k service (I assume that included brakes) and one response that said 1600 for brakes(which is in line with my experience). Most everyone else told me to do the work myself for a lot less money. So thanks for the input guys. Based on what I can glean from those responses I think my garage is in line with others which is what I was trying to get to. As I said in my messages, I had a few other items that probably added a cpl of hours labor and a few dollars in parts.

Steve , thanks for your response and also trying to help.

As a 64 yr old coming off double knee replacement and with arthritis in both hands, doing the work myself was never in the cards. Doesn't make me stupid, lazy or gullible, just realistic.

Thanks, Larry