Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-24-2015, 04:52 PM   #1

Convertible top tension cables

Do the tension cables serve any purpose when the top is open and folded? I know they serve to apply tension to the rear portion of the top when the top is closed but do they also apply any tension when the top is folded under the clam shell?

Also, my cables have slack. I'm wondering if they are stretched out? Not sure how tight they should be.

All these questions because my top seems to have slack in it when folded under the clam shell. The exposed portion of the top now is not as taught as it has been in the past.

I don't mind buying new cables if that will help take out the fabric's looseness that wasn't an issue in the past.

Rob175 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 05:38 PM   #2

I can't speak for weather they have any purpose when folded...I doubt it. When your top is up, the cables should not have slack in them. You either have a broke/disconnected cable or tension spring.

Are both sides the same?
dghii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 06:34 PM   #3

Can you explain what cables or springs you're referring to? I was referring to the two tension cables with ball sockets that pop on and off in order to move the rear portion of the top in order to work on the engine. If you know of any other springs or tensioners please explain. The rest of the top looks to be fine with nothing else apparently amiss. The sides remain in the tracks so it's not that cord issue if that's what you mean.

Thanks
Old 08-24-2015, 07:12 PM   #4

Well, after some further investigation I discovered that the third cross roof bar (the bar closest to the window) appears to have a fabric strip on it which is glued or was glued to the underside of the top. Only a same portion is still glued. The rest has come unglued which would account for it no longer being tight when the top is down and under the clam shell cover.

Now the question is what to use to re glue that portion of the top to the cloth strip on the bar. I have a feeling the manufacturer may have used a heat weld....not sure. But I'll try to find some sort of adhesive that will hold long term.