Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-24-2015, 07:40 AM   #1

Soft top slight "ripples"

Re: 98' soft top w/plastic window
I've recently noticed that there are two slight "ripples" appearing on my soft top when the top is down. Both appear at the rear, very close to where the top and rear deck meet. One is on the left side and the other is on the right side. Both "ripples" sort of mirror each other in their position and appearance.

Basically, there seems to be some newly developed "slack"...and when the top is fully open it seems to be looser that in the past, where you could bounce a coin off it.

I've checked the two cable attachments and they are attached properly along with the rain cuff.

The top seems perfect until the rear deck closes down and it's at that point that the two ripples occur. I also checked the 4 rubber cushions, attached to the underside of the deck lid and they appear to be in good shape too. I believe those rubber cushions are designed to put pressure on the cloth and keep it taught. So even though they appear to be in good shape they might be the problem. I don't think they have any adjustment.

When the top is up all is perfect and tight with no ripples.

Any suggestions as to what can be causing the top when down to not be as smooth as its been in the past?

Last edited by Rob175; 08-24-2015 at 12:59 PM.
Rob175 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 08:49 AM   #2

Any pictures?
CHRISP357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 09:40 AM   #3
Multi-Boxer Driver

Garage
Does it sort of look as if there is slack on the canvas underneath the window? It should be taut.
2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R
Deserion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 12:57 PM   #4

When the top is up everyting is nice and taught....it's when its down that there appears to be slack.

Is there a way to adjust the tension of the fabric when the top is down? The top is nice and taught when its up and locked. I don't think replacing the tension cables is the answer since I believe they are used to keep the back of the top tight when the top is fully closed.

Do the tension cables serve any purpose when the top is open and folded? I ask because when open I seem to have more slack in the exposed portion of the top once the clam shell is closed tight.

Any suggestion to tighten the exposed portion of the open top?

Last edited by Rob175; 08-24-2015 at 02:34 PM.
Rob175 is offline   Reply With Quote