Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-22-2015, 09:27 AM   #1

Made it a year...

Just realized I picked up my Boxster a year ago this weekend. Haven't missed the creature comforts of the SLK I sold one bit (maybe the heated / vented seats) but that's it!

So far just as most predicted spent about $2300 in that year on maintenance, most of that going to clutch / flywheel. Put just shy of 10,000 miles on it. I can easily find another $2000 of things to all suspension related but for now I'm content with it as is just doing little things here and there.

Have yet to find any locals to meet up with or go to a Porsche event, gotta get on that.

Here's a picture from my morning drive near the DE bay.

Thanks to all that helped with my newb questions!

bobbeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2015, 11:41 AM   #2

Last month was 2 years since I got my Boxster. I spent around $2000 too for the first year, mostly for new tires, and to repairs a few mechanical problems. Like you said, for a car this age, it's easy to spend thousands to restore many different areas. But there were a couple things I wish I had done right when I first got mine, specifically the engine mount and rear trailing/track arms. Made such a huge improvement in ride comfort, for me at least.
hancock1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2015, 08:16 PM   #3

Just completed 3 years

and much the same, down to big and little things. At some point I will have to do a clutch, possibly in the next year or so...at that time I intend on doing a IMS bearing upgrade as well...other than that I will replace my water pump probably this year before hard winter sets in.

I would kill for a lift....even a cheap harbour freight one that would get the car at least 30 inches off the ground. Im not sure how high you have to lift the car to get the transmission (6S) out but I'm sure it will be a challenge when the time comes. The upside is that my Boxster is not my daily driver and I can leave it down for many weeks if I need to
Pdwight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2015, 12:24 AM   #4

I didn't want to do the clutch/flywheel this soon, it was stiff before but fine otherwise. I had a friend destroy the clutch for me ( I posted that story). The upside was I had the RMS & IMS replaced at the same time the clutch was being done (both were fine by the way). So the biggest jobs out of the way first, makes you feel better about spending money on non maintenance items like clear headlights and a new stereo. I'm also starting to horde parts when I see a sale or get a coupon for free shipping or __% discount.

bobbeck is offline   Reply With Quote