Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-12-2023, 01:30 PM   #1

Double Din radio

Just curious about it. Have you moved your AC and upgraded to a big radio or have you tried to stay stock? I miss my backup camera!

wiebuschk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2023, 04:46 PM   #2

Yes
Now I would like to upgrade to a unit with Apple CarPlay. However, I will wait until the current unit wears out.
Painted Bumperettes, 2004 (OEM) Top, Homelink integrated in dash with Targa switch, 997 Shifter, Carrera Gauge Cluster with silver gauge faces, heated 12-way driver & 8-way passenger seats, Litronics, silver console
KevinH1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2023, 06:44 PM   #3

I installed a Sony AX7000 to get Android Auto and better sound, but the backup camera on the license plate frame is a very strange viewing angle being so low. Still good to have, but I hadn't given the angle any thought until the first time I used it.
Hasdrubal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2023, 03:20 AM   #4

Garage
I upgraded to a double DIN Sony primarily for CarPlay. Don't regret it at all.
Radman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2023, 03:53 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hasdrubal View Post
I installed a Sony AX7000 to get Android Auto and better sound, but the backup camera on the license plate frame is a very strange viewing angle being so low. Still good to have, but I hadn't given the angle any thought until the first time I used it.
I installed backup cameras in all the cars my family owns. My daughter told me that a child ran behind her car and she avoided hitting him because she saw him in the camera. A child in my area was seriously injured when one of her parents accidentally backed over her in a minivan. The blind spot at low levels behind minivans and SUV's is huge. The blind spot in the Boxster is not as large, but I do find the camera handy for parking. Hasdrubal is correct about the viewing angle. I was able to adjust mine slightly, but it is not ideal.

I put a Sony AX7000 in my wife's Highlander. It is a nice unit. The only thing I would improve it is that I have been unable to customize the flash screen that displays briefly when the unit powers on. The unit in my Boxster shows the Porsche crest when I turn it on. The Kenwood DMX 907S in my daily driver has a flash screen that you can customize.
Painted Bumperettes, 2004 (OEM) Top, Homelink integrated in dash with Targa switch, 997 Shifter, Carrera Gauge Cluster with silver gauge faces, heated 12-way driver & 8-way passenger seats, Litronics, silver console
Old 01-14-2023, 04:22 AM   #6
1998 Boxster Silver/Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinH1990 View Post
I installed backup cameras in all the cars my family owns. My daughter told me that a child ran behind her car and she avoided hitting him because she saw him in the camera. A child in my area was seriously injured when one of her parents accidentally backed over her in a minivan. The blind spot at low levels behind minivans and SUV's is huge. The blind spot in the Boxster is not as large, but I do find the camera handy for parking. Hasdrubal is correct about the viewing angle. I was able to adjust mine slightly, but it is not ideal.

I put a Sony AX7000 in my wife's Highlander. It is a nice unit. The only thing I would improve it is that I have been unable to customize the flash screen that displays briefly when the unit powers on. The unit in my Boxster shows the Porsche crest when I turn it on. The Kenwood DMX 907S in my daily driver has a flash screen that you can customize.
Just saying there are no blind spots of you move your neck around.
Old 01-14-2023, 05:28 PM   #7

2001 986 dash/radio config

I run Android Auto and wife runs Carplay. Still happy with this setup. Did not install a backup camera, maybe down the road.
Rayrevolver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2023, 09:31 PM   #8

The Boxster definitely has better rear visibility than many cars out there today, but all it takes is one kid playing behind it and either sitting or crouching below your view to cause a disaster.

I had an Alpine ILX-W650 in a Honda Fit, worked great for Apple but was awful to set up for Android Auto. Once set up, it worked ok. Got a little parking brake defeat device on ebay, without one I was supposed to put the brake on, off, on, to convince the head unit I hadn't just grounded the parking brake wire. Used the 4 channel amp they package behind it, very satisfied.

I wouldn't get one again though, the phone issue was just too much, and I'm not switching to Apple. Sony didn't need a parking brake defeat, just wish the screen was sharper.
Old 01-22-2023, 07:43 AM   #9

me too

My Boxster had a very poorly installed aftermarket head unit when I bought it. I replaced it with a double din Android unit. I also installed a back-up camera, more because I could and less because I thought it was really necessary. For me, the biggest advantage of the Android head unit is that it can run the Touque app. Torque's GPS speedo function tells me how fast I'm really going so I don't have to rely on my Boxster's notoriously inaccurate speedo. I'm well pleased how it works and looks.

How I installed the head unit here - https://rx19jones.wixsite.com/projectboxster/projectboxster-3
and the back-up camera here - https://rx19jones.wixsite.com/projectboxster/projectboxster4

Old 01-23-2023, 06:29 AM   #10

Great job on that! Looks very factory! I like the wood shift knob also!
Old 01-24-2023, 05:51 AM   #11

Thanks! Installing the head unit so that it looks like it could be OEM was one of my goals and I'm pleased that you think it does.

I'm glad you like the shift knob too - made it myself...
Like this - https://rx19jones.wixsite.com/projectboxster/shift-knob

cheers - dj
Old 01-31-2023, 02:35 PM   #12

Would you have the part number for the black plastic surround that the HVAC module sits in when fitted to the location just above the shifter?
986andmx5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2023, 06:15 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by 986andmx5 View Post
would you have the part number for the black plastic surround that the hvac module sits in when fitted to the location just above the shifter?
996-552-339-00-01c

Just recently added Double Din to mine.
Old 02-01-2023, 05:48 AM   #14

When the swap is made is the original amplifier used or bypassed?
Old 02-01-2023, 08:58 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiebuschk View Post
I installed a Kenwood Navigation radio and added a Kenwood amplifier. The OEM amplifier was removed.
Old 02-01-2023, 12:55 PM   #16

Look at the system you have currently, if you have the stock amp and it's working well, I don't know that there would be a reason to remove it. My car also came with a poorly installed aftermarket system and minus the factory amp, so that wasn't an option.

If you're new to stereo installs, though, I'd ask the people at Crutchfield for help. They have adapters for pretty much everything, and offer a service where they prefab the wiring for you. Like, if you pick an aftermarket head unit, they'll take the wiring harness from that and connect it to the adapter for your car, wire by wire. All you need to do is plug it in.
Old 02-01-2023, 07:15 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiebuschk View Post
What is the model year of your Boxster? At some point (I believe it was the 2003 model year) Porsche started using the MOST system - (Media Oriented Systems Transport) which included installing fiber optic cable between the head unit and amplifier.

I have a 2000/pre-MOST system in my car. It is easier to use the factory amplifier in pre-MOST cars. I have had various configurations over the years. I started with a factory 4-channel amplifier which powered the dash and door speakers. I added rear speakers which I originally powered from the CDR-220 head unit.

I progressed to a 6-channel amplifier from a 996 cabriolet. I eventually added 6 1/2 woofers in my door and powered them with the 6-channel amplifier. Because some forum members suggested that I might be over-taxing the amplifier, I bought an aftermarket amplifier for the larger door speakers.

Here's a thread that may help you: Door speaker recommendations?
Old 02-02-2023, 03:56 AM   #18

Garage
What you should do will really depend on what the goals are. In a convertible, it's almost pointless to try and create a really detailed sound. In my case, I just wanted to be able to turn the radio up with the top down and understand what was being played lol!

I went with Rockford Fosgate speakers for the dash and doors from Crutchfield because they seemed to offer the best value. I added a MBQuartz sub to add a small amount of thump.A basic Sony CarPlay head unit ties it together and I'm perfectly happy for not much money spent.

Radman is offline   Reply With Quote