986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   oil level on dash (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/58403-oil-level-dash.html)

yano 08-19-2015 11:15 AM

oil level on dash

Oil level on dash came up down about a quart, no oil on garage floor and checked under and no signs of oil leak HELP

BoxsterSteve 08-19-2015 11:19 AM

If you check the level right after a drive, it will appear low... must be checked warm and on a level surface, but give it 10-15 minutes to allow oil to run back to sump.
There's a lot of oil, and a LOT of oil passages in these engines.

yano 08-19-2015 11:29 AM

Thanks Steve came on while I was driving

RandallNeighbour 08-19-2015 11:36 AM

Mine came on last week while driving... I changed the oil a few weeks back and it was the first spirited drive I'd made since changing the oil. A half a quart added and I checked the dip stick a half hour later and I was right in the middle of the low/high marks.

You might need a top off. Our cars do burn a little oil at startup and after a number of startups it will need a top off.

yano 08-19-2015 11:37 AM

Thanks much

Benitom 08-19-2015 01:42 PM

My oil indicator always comes up after I fill up my gas tank after start up. I turn off the car, turn it back on then it's back to normal

jdlmodelt 08-19-2015 04:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RandallNeighbour (Post 462383)
Mine came on last week while driving... I changed the oil a few weeks back and it was the first spirited drive I'd made since changing the oil. A half a quart added and I checked the dip stick a half hour later and I was right in the middle of the low/high marks.

You might need a top off. Our cars do burn a little oil at startup and after a number of startups it will need a top off.

I have never had to add oil to mine. O go 7k to 10k miles between changes. Engine is a 2.5l with around 55k miles on it.

patssle 08-19-2015 06:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jdlmodelt (Post 462421)
I have never had to add oil to mine. O go 7k to 10k miles between changes. Engine is a 2.5l with around 55k miles on it.

I add about a quart between oil changes (5k miles). Been doing it since I bought the car 30k miles ago (now at 73k)!

kk2002s 08-20-2015 04:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yano (Post 462379)
Oil level on dash came up down about a quart, no oil on garage floor and checked under and no signs of oil leak HELP

Are we talking about a CEL oil light or the Bars that display.

If it the CEL oil display then that would be concerning.
The Bars, as said, show low while driving and directly after turning off car
If my Bars display consistently shows a bit lower, that usually does correspond with the dip stick being a bit lower than Middle safe level.

In almost 30k miles (@ 80k now), I may have had to add a total of 1 quart here and there
After a recent 1800+ mile trip I had to add about a 1/4 of a quart. I would expect that.

Check the dip stick regularly is my practice, especially before any longer drive