986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   Need help identifying leak (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/57873-need-help-identifying-leak.html)

thecount 07-10-2015 09:30 AM

Need help identifying leak

1 Attachment(s)
Hi everybody,

I discovered something leaking from rear of 97 Boxster manual shift.

Fluid feels like very light grade oil.

I did not notice any performance issue when driven yesterday.

In the photo, I added some oil from my dipstick only for reference.

Thanks in advance!

http://986forum.com/forums/uploads01...1436549217.jpg

Timco 07-10-2015 09:56 AM

Visually inspect water pump.

thecount 07-10-2015 02:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Timco (Post 456795)
Visually inspect water pump.

Thanks for sending me in the right direction Timco. Concluded it is coolant leaking, however, I don't know how to inspect water pump.

No dummy lights on and temp seems normal. Checked plastic coolant holding tank in trunk and see no evidence of leaking, no pooling in trunk.

As car warms up, dripping increases significantly.

Pulled down on material covering undercarriage and determined drip is mostly located near rear passenger tire, somewhere in that region.

Is there a chance it's a bad hose? or would that be wishful thinking.

Timco 07-10-2015 02:53 PM

It's gonna be WP. I'll go all in. (Vegas joke) Cover behind seats comes off, it's just behind passengers butt. You'll see water getting by the shaft end. I don't recall if these have a weep hole. Many DIY on here including me. While there do the low temp stat and front engine mount, and an under- drive pulley. Then new serp belt. As car heats up pressure builds in the cooling system, and the pump rotating make it leak.

dghii 07-10-2015 07:03 PM

Don't know the age or condition of your car and WP. Before you replace the pump, open access panel behind seats. Remove serpentine belt and spin, push and pull WP pully to see if you feel any bearing issue. If bearing feels ok, reinstall belt, start your car and look for the leak.
Also check the WP bolts for tightness. torque is light...something like 7-9 Ft-lbs.

I replaced the WP on my 2000S at about 118K miles after slight leak. During replacement, I felt as though the leak was actually weeping from a fastener. I went ahead and replaced the WP as I had a replacement and had the car on a lift (and removed motor mount to make WP R/R easy). When I pulled my old pump, it looked fine and there was no play in the bearing.

I'm pretty sure snugging up the WP bolts would have solved the problem.

Not saying my pump wouldn't have failed at any moment in the future but I think it was really ok.

thecount 07-10-2015 07:34 PM

Thanks for the fantastic advice guys! What a great community.

Sorry, I should have mentioned more details about my car :(

It's a 1997 manual boxster with optional sports package. Original owner with about 43k miles.

jdlmodelt 07-12-2015 07:34 PM

check your overflow tank cap

So, when I first bought mine. I topped off the overflow tank and when I screwed the cap back on I cross threaded it and it didn't seal. When I parked the car after one particular ride, it spewed fuild at the right rear tire. I freaked until I found out what was going on. I always make sure I screw the cap on properly now.

Quote:

Originally Posted by thecount (Post 456888)
Thanks for the fantastic advice guys! What a great community.

Sorry, I should have mentioned more details about my car :(

It's a 1997 manual boxster with optional sports package. Original owner with about 43k miles.

thecount 07-15-2015 10:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dghii (Post 456882)
Don't know the age or condition of your car and WP. Before you replace the pump, open access panel behind seats. Remove serpentine belt and spin, push and pull WP pully to see if you feel any bearing issue. If bearing feels ok, reinstall belt, start your car and look for the leak.

HEy guys,

Took off S belt and checked WP for play. pulley had no play and I could rotate it with my hand, though it did not spin freely.

Here's a better picture of leak from underneath.

http://986forum.com/forums/uploads01...1436985372.jpg

newBgeek 07-15-2015 11:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thecount (Post 457445)
HEy guys,

Took off S belt and checked WP for play. pulley had no play and I could rotate it with my hand, though it did not spin freely.

Check your fluid levels. If you are leaking that much fluid, you are going to be low somewhere. Coolant is bright pink (if you still have the Porsche coolant). That looks like power steering fluid which is a light green colour. And you mentioned that it felt oily. Power steering fluid is a very light oil. I have a leak as well, but not as bad as yours.

NewArt 07-15-2015 01:21 PM

1st thing : check under mat in trunk under coolant tank. If it's wet, you need to check 1, coolant cap, 2, coolant relief valve, 3, coolant tank for cracks.

epapp 07-16-2015 10:24 AM

Looks like the gasket for the thermostat housing is blown.

I would dry the area completely and inspect the area as the engine warms up to spot where the leak originates.