Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-19-2015, 12:04 PM   #21

An old homeless guy told me that when he grows up he wants to be like me. Considering he probably had 40 yrs on me a that time, the comment stuck with me.

nefarious986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2015, 01:02 PM   #22

Nice Miata you have there
Pdwight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2015, 01:03 PM   #23

I get complimented on the car every single day. I had a guy say I would be smiling if I drove that. I told them it doesn't hurt. Biggest surprise is when I tell them how much I paid for it.
antny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2015, 02:49 PM   #24

That's a nice looking car, but if you get hit by a truck you're dead...really?
oc-boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2015, 02:54 PM   #25
2001 Boxster S

Not a comment per se...but when I dropped the top whilst in a nice country road, a group of kids watching began to clap!
Dgnarvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2015, 03:05 PM   #26

Garage
When an old woman in a beat up 65 deville throws her door open into my 87 911, looks at me and said "What it's only a car!!"
911monty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2015, 03:15 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by 911monty View Post
When an old woman in a beat up 65 deville throws her door open into my 87 911, looks at me and said "What it's only a car!!"
When was her funeral? Did you get let of on parole? What was your bail set to?
ルーカス is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2015, 03:16 PM   #28

Garage
Strange Questions

"Is that a Ferrari?" -I have heard that one two different times.
"I love your car, is it a Miata?" -from the girl working the coffee shop drive through.
"Sweet car man, what did that cost you?" -Yelled from the car next to me at a red light.

The assumption is always that my fifteen year old Boxster must have cost six figures. Well except when they think it's a Miata.
Old 04-19-2015, 03:16 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by husker boxster View Post
Blue blood? As in rich?
Not sure, probably high on something lol.
ルーカス is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2015, 03:37 PM   #30

I am with RedTele58. My first car was a '65 Beetle in 1973 when I turned 16. I lost count how many times I needed to push-start it. But it was all mine!
Alfieg23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2015, 03:52 PM   #31
Theoretical propagandist

Garage
You must be having your midlife crisis...
Old 04-19-2015, 04:03 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric G View Post
You must be having your midlife crisis...
Well, after 38 successful years in the same industry, 27 years happily married to the same wonderful woman, participating successfully in raising an awesome 16 year old son and being almost 1 year removed from successful cancer surgery, I think I deserve it. May you be as blessed as I am when you reach my age .
Alfieg23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2015, 10:28 PM   #33

Not very long ago someone told me that he'd love to own a two seats sport car... and added "that way I'd have a good reason to carry our two years old daughter in the back trunk"

Go figure. That got me to be speechless/frozen. Just didn't know what to say back to him and started to pretend a dry caught... throat clearing, went back to my thing asap. Geez man

^ That is possibly the 'weirdest' (sickest) of all the comments coming from a stranger

Had that Oh Awe Wow nice Lambo or Ferarri a few times also... but that is not all that weird, just uninformed ppl really
Old 04-19-2015, 10:31 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfieg23 View Post
Well, after 38 successful years in the same industry, 27 years happily married to the same wonderful woman, participating successfully in raising an awesome 16 year old son and being almost 1 year removed from successful cancer surgery, I think I deserve it. May you be as blessed as I am when you reach my age .
Congrats on your recovery bud
Old 04-19-2015, 11:42 PM   #35

I think Eric was just giving another comment he's gotten, not replying.

I'm 29, and I've had a couple people ask if I'm having an early midlife crisis - but hey, could die tomorrow! May be late in life!
CraigM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 04:07 AM   #36
Luckyed

Garage
I think I have, at one time or another, received many of those comments. The one that stuck with me the most was from my home pest control guy. He comes back into the house after spraying out in the garage and says: "Nice care out there.....Ferrari, right?"

When I chuckled a little and said, "Thanks, but it's only a Porsche" he gave me the impression that, at least in his mind, they were equals.....
Old 04-20-2015, 04:11 AM   #37

I've never heard anything but a compliment from strangers, but the wierdest comments have all come from neighbors and my wife. Buffalo is kind of a blue collar area and getting a 2 seater is out of the norm for people in the neighborhod that I live in.

-One neighbor asked me if I robbed a bank... (I've been in banking for 15 years)
-Another neighbor asked me if I was having a mid-life crisis... (I was)
-I overheard my wife lie to a friend and tell them that I got a crazy deal on the car from a co-worker. We got a good deal on it, but she was somehow embarassed to tell people that we could afford it.
cardiffgiant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 04:53 AM   #38

Garage
I've gotten the 'Mid-Life crisis comments. If you have greyish hair in a sports car, you have to expect it

Weirdest:
Last Christmas, went to get gas. Finished filling up, guy walks up with the line:
"Just drove up from Delaware. I'm trying to get back but I don't have any money to get gas, can you help out"

My 'I'm being scammed' radar turns on so I say no.
As the guy walks away I hear him say:
"Guy has a Porsche and he can spare any $$"
Old 04-20-2015, 05:02 AM   #39

The men in my family haven't made it past 70-80, and I put a lot into retirement. I had planned to wait and do something like this later in life. When I turned 38 and I started to feel like "anything could happen", I decided that I needed to do something a little crazy.

What really clinched it for me was talking to a guy that was selling a Boxster and asking him why he was parting with it. He told me that he was 60, had recently had shoulder surgery, and that getting in and out of it was too uncomfortable. That was it. I knew that I needed to get one now.

So when my neighbor asked if it got it because of a midlife crisis I just laughed and said "Absolutely!"
cardiffgiant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 05:34 AM   #40

Garage
I don't really ever get weird comments... However I get a lot of hate. Saturday, I was going to someones house, and I was just cruising through the neighborhood. I had never been to the house before, so I was looking around at addresses on the mailboxes. I realized that I had driven past the house I was looking for, so I went down the street and turned around. I had my window down, and I thought I had heard something, but I kept going. After I had turned around and was going back down the same street the other way, I noticed some guy on his driveway screaming at the top of his lungs. I stopped to see what he wanted, and he proceeded to scream at me for "speeding" "YOU NEED TO SLOW DOWN, WE HAVE KIDS OUT HERE!!" "I was only going 25?" I said. "NO YOU WENT FLYING DOWN THE STREET" "I really was only going 25!" I said. "THATS B**LS**T!!!" he screams. Another guy came out, and I just roll my eyes and start to drive away (slowly, I may add) and the second guy goes, "DON'T BE SPEEDING OFF AND S**T!" :troll:

LOL. I do speed often, but this time I really was going 25. 30 tops. Neighborhood speed limits here are 25. Maybe the throaty/loud sports muffler was the culprit? Or they're just mad that I'm driving a bright red Porsche. Maybe a combo of both. I get people yelling at me all the time in my own neighborhood, however nothing this bad has happened before. There's a special social media site that allows you to form a group with your neighbors, and report crimes and other things that go on around the neighborhood. I'm just waiting for someone to complain about me on there

OklahomaBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote