986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   locking lug bolts- how to get them off without proper socket ? (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/56499-locking-lug-bolts-how-get-them-off-without-proper-socket.html)

rfuerst911sc 03-29-2015 01:59 AM

locking lug bolts- how to get them off without proper socket ?

When I purchased my 02 S it did not come with the locking lug nut socket. I have searched everywhere in the car and can't find it. So I'm riding on borrowed time for a flat or needing to remove a wheel. Any way to get these off ? I have already purchased replacement OEM lug bolts ( non-locking ) so I'm not concerned about saving the lockers. But obviously don't want to damage the wheels. I have a impact wrench but I'm wondering what type of socket would you use ? Do tire dealers/shops have a way to get them off ? Or should I go to a Porsche dealership ?

Pdwight 03-29-2015 02:35 AM

Get with Woody or Instanova , Im sure he can fix you up

rfuerst911sc 03-29-2015 02:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pdwight (Post 442381)
Get with Woody or Instanova , Im sure he can fix you up

You mean to get the OEM wheel socket ? I never thought of that do you know if they are that generic ?

BoxsterSteve 03-29-2015 03:34 AM

The dealership service department should have a master set of all lug keys for cases like this. Even the local Ford dealer had a complete set when I wanted to buy a spare key many years ago.
Tire shops generally carry removal sockets, but they butcher the lockers.
Crappy situation, best of luck.

78F350 03-29-2015 03:36 AM

You can buy a special socket: Emergency Lug Nut Remover

or you can just hammer an old socket onto it. I've had good luck using an old socket, but I forget the size. 13/16"?

Eric the Car Guy has some great videos. Here's his lug nut removal on YouTube:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mJUUyjJqk5A

Get rid of those locking lug bolts before they are a problem.

amitmishra4 03-29-2015 03:38 AM

Do not drill! They will cost you and you will almost always end up with wheel damage. There are other ways to get them off, google is your best friend here. I'm sure other more experienced members will chime in with suggestions too. Something like this could work too:
Locking Lug Nut Remover | eBay

j.fro 03-29-2015 04:08 AM

Find a socket that's just a bit too small for the lock. Use a sledge to drive it on to the lock, then use a breaker bar to loosen it. My 996 had the locks, but the key socket was lost. I was able to pull all four locks using the same socket. Of course, the socket and locks are all toast afterwards, but I didn't want them anyway. I replaced the locks with regular lug bolts.
If it looks like you might hit the wheel with the sledge, put a 4" extension on the socket. Yeah, this is getting ruined, too. The key here is to use tools that are at the end of their lives anyway.

BOOTLEG 03-29-2015 04:58 AM

did the hammer small socket thing. worked great. bought 4 used lugs from itsnotanova for $15 and away we go

RedTele58 03-29-2015 05:24 AM

I did the socket/hammer it on w/ one of mine. There are over 20 different style locks and the dealer will prolly charge you to do it.

Grab some cheap sockets from Harbor Freight and give 'em a good whack! Easy peasy.

NewArt 03-29-2015 05:48 AM

Most garages can remove these. Just toss them and put on regular bolts.

itsnotanova 03-29-2015 06:01 AM

I have to use a six sided impact socket on half the cars that come in. Like everyone said, get a socket that is just a little too small and hammer it on. Then loosen the bolt off by hand. Once I've broken the bolt loose, I'll take the hammer and tap around the socket until it wiggles it's way off the bolt head. If that doesn't work, I'll take the socket over to the table vice and hammer the bolt out through the hole using a punch. It sounds scary using the socket trick, but it works every time. One time I had a key break because the lug bolt was on so tight. Did the socket trick and it came right off.

Pdwight 03-29-2015 06:31 AM

Here you go

02 Boxster s rwd Porsche 986 20 Wheel Lug Nut Bolts Key Locking 101 282 | eBay

schnellman 03-29-2015 09:50 AM

Show of Hands

Who here has ever had a wheel stolen from their car? I think everyone should do what most of us have already done. Take off the lug bolts that require a key and see how far you can throw them. Replace with regular bolts.

Pdwight 03-29-2015 01:29 PM

I sort of did that

I replaced mine with regular, until I buggered up two lugs during a bearing change and had to use one of my locking lugs as a replacement...anyone what my key...send me a lug or two and I will send you my key

rfuerst911sc 03-29-2015 01:58 PM

Sounds like I'll try the hammer a socket on method. Thanks guys.

mikefocke 03-29-2015 02:10 PM

Buy some replacement lug bolts from the dealer with the car parked out front and they will usually loan you a set of the sockets for the 10 minutes for you to find the right one and remove 4 bolts. Worked for me twice. The sockets seem to disappear into the mechanics tool boxes.

nieuwhzn 03-29-2015 08:56 PM

Tire shops usually have a set of special sockets. You hammer the appropriate socket on the locking lugnut, it cuts itself into the head and you can then just use a breaker bar to remove the nut. All the serious wheel thieves have such a set, so locking lugnuts are useless and just cause you grief when you loose the key. Just replace with normal lugnuts.