Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-25-2015, 02:48 AM   #41
Beginner

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Topless View Post
Maybe have a shop scope the offending cylinder and see what's up. If it's just a valve spring it's a pretty easy fix. If a grenade went off in there then swap the motor and keep on driving. Lots of decent motors sitting at dismantlers still for not to much money. I'm not ready to dump the car yet.

Find a local indy shop with lots of 986 experience through your local PCA.
+1 or buy an inexpensive scope and do it yourself. If the piston is damaged or there is anything in the cylinder that should not be, the cost for repair is very likely more than the car is worth. something beat up that spark plug and it wasn't a non functional valve. Pulling the valve cover off is more work than just scoping the cylinder.

Old 03-25-2015, 03:29 AM   #42
Need For Speed

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamesp View Post
+1 or buy an inexpensive scope and do it yourself. If the piston is damaged or there is anything in the cylinder that should not be, the cost for repair is very likely more than the car is worth. something beat up that spark plug and it wasn't a non functional valve. Pulling the valve cover off is more work than just scoping the cylinder.
That's way I'm saying pull the spark plug. If it looks like that he has bigger issues. If not then fixing it might be worth it.
Old 03-25-2015, 05:51 AM   #43

15 grand for a special tool

I think you need to talk to someone else....drop the oil , remove the plugs.....it is not kryptonite ....it will not bite you ....jump in....what do you have to lose
Pdwight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 07:40 AM   #44
Registered Boxster abuser

go to Harbor freight and get a borescope or if time is not an issue anymore ...
5M 6 LED Waterproof USB Borescope Snake Inspection Endoscope Tube Camera Mirror | eBay

Then pull the coil, plug, and take a peak.

Otherwise tow it down here, I would not mind playing with it. Give me 1700 and Ill do a straight R+R, of course thats not including parts or any add ons you want to do. I even have a inexpensive tow guy.
healthservices is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 07:58 AM   #45
Need For Speed

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by healthservices View Post
5M 6 LED Waterproof USB Borescope Snake Inspection Endoscope Tube Camera Mirror | eBay

Otherwise tow it down here, I would not mind playing with it. Give me 1700 and Ill do a straight R+R, of course thats not including parts or any add ons you want to do. I even have a inexpensive tow guy.
What a champ!
Old 03-25-2015, 09:41 AM   #46

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by KRAM36 View Post
Pull the spark plug from from cylinder 4, since that's the cylinder the had no compression in your first post and see if it looks something like this.
While doing the diagnostic the shop removed and replaced all plugs with new plugs to rule-out any problems coming from the plugs. He didn't mentioned any major damages to the plugs except the following in his report: "R&R all spark plugs, found plugs to be carbon tracked"
fab986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 10:17 AM   #47
Custom User Title Here

Garage
Everyone should have a borescope. Absolutely invaluable in situations like this (or about a million others).
I use mine all the time.

I also have that USB camera endoscope that healthservices linked above and it works just fine. It's a little more awkward to need to have your laptop with you to view the image, but not terribly inconvenient.

Last edited by particlewave; 03-25-2015 at 11:18 AM.
particlewave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 11:02 AM   #48
Need For Speed

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by fab986 View Post
While doing the diagnostic the shop removed and replaced all plugs with new plugs to rule-out any problems coming from the plugs. He didn't mentioned any major damages to the plugs except the following in his report: "R&R all spark plugs, found plugs to be carbon tracked"
I would say that's somewhat good news. Let healthservices have a crack at it if you have the funds.

BTW: I searched Harbor Freight for borescope and they didn't show one.
Old 03-25-2015, 11:24 AM   #49
Custom User Title Here

Garage
Quote:
I would say that's somewhat good news. Let healthservices have a crack at it if you have the funds.

BTW: I searched Harbor Freight for borescope and they didn't show one.
Sometimes called an "inspection camera".

http://m.harborfreight.com/digital-inspection-camera-61839.html
Old 03-25-2015, 11:31 AM   #50
Need For Speed

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by particlewave View Post
Thanks! Very cool, I want one just to play with it now lol.
Old 03-25-2015, 12:11 PM   #51

Hmm this looks like it would be helpful...

Amazon.com: 16ft USB Waterproof Endoscope Borescope Inspection Camera: Camera & Photo
Old 03-25-2015, 12:45 PM   #52

Quote:
Thanks! Very cool, I want one just to play with it now lol.
Don't forget the 20% off coupon you can get almost anywhere!
jpc763 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 12:48 PM   #53

Garage
Quote:
Let healthservices have a crack at it if you have the funds.
Sorry to ask but what is Healthservices (beside the obvious medical term)?
Old 03-25-2015, 01:03 PM   #54

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by particlewave View Post
Everyone should have a borescope. Absolutely invaluable in situations like this (or about a million others).
I use mine all the time.

I also have that USB camera endoscope that healthservices linked above and it works just fine. It's a little more awkward to need to have your laptop with you to view the image, but not terribly inconvenient.
Actually, I'm pretty disappointed and angry at the shop owner because when I asked him if he used a borescope too look into the cylinders to see if he could find any damage he told me that he didn't because it's too difficult and too deep on those cars. Is it really?
Old 03-25-2015, 01:04 PM   #55
Need For Speed

Garage
Quote:
Sorry to ask but what is Healthservices (beside the obvious medical term)?
Healthservices is the person who if offering this help to you.

Quote:

Old 03-25-2015, 01:06 PM   #56

Garage
Quick question: Is it possible to remove the camshaft cover without taking the engine out of the car?
Old 03-25-2015, 01:11 PM   #57

Quote:
Quick question: Is it possible to remove the camshaft cover without taking the engine out of the car?
Yes, but it is very tight and requires the use of special cam holding tools to prevent damaging the cams in the process.
Old 03-25-2015, 01:17 PM   #58
still plays with cars...

Garage
Quote:
Actually, I'm pretty disappointed and angry at the shop owner because when I asked him if he used a borescope too look into the cylinders to see if he could find any damage he told me that he didn't because it's too difficult and too deep on those cars. Is it really?
Sounds like you need a new mechanic. Seriously, a boroscope is an almost-necessary tool for internal inspection and diagnosis.
His 27 hour labour quote likely includes engine removal and a total tear down. Sure beats using an inspection camera!?
Arctic Silver on Metropol Blue | LN Dual Row IMSR | Arctic Silver console, spoiler frame & bumperettes | Crios mod | Technobrace | RoboTop module & modified convertible top relay for one-touch roof operation
BoxsterSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 01:27 PM   #59

Garage
Quote:
Healthservices is the person who if offering this help to you.
Sorry KRAM36, this thread became so long I didn't even notice that Healthservices is a member and responded to one of the post.
Old 03-25-2015, 01:30 PM   #60

Garage
Quote:

Thanks for the offer. I'm located in the Bay Area, where are you located?