Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-19-2015, 04:17 PM   #1

Electrical issue?

Helping a friend diagnose some issues with his new 2001 Boxster. I helped him pick it up over the weekend. He was able to drive it home almost 50 miles with no issues aside from a slipping clutch. Got home and shut it down and now has these symptoms:

no radio
no power to the windows
no start
top doesn't work

I opened his key fob to check the battery and it had no electronics in it, just the pill. He replaced the ignition switch and that didn't cure anything. Battery has a fresh charge on it. Immobilizer was wet so I had him pull it and blow it out and set it in dry rice for a day. Still nothing. What should we check next?

Thanks!
Mike

Old 03-19-2015, 05:14 PM   #2
Reebuck1

Garage
elect.

If he got the immobilizer wet enough it is probably fried !
Reebuck1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 12:49 AM   #3

Did he check the fuse in the immobiliser?? Does the engine crank?

The reason why your engine may not crank / run could be a blown fuse which interacts with the Immobilizer.
Check the fuses in the fuse box, and also check the fuse in front of the Immobilizer itself.
Old 03-20-2015, 02:07 AM   #4

The fuse on the immobi was popped so he had replaced it. I'll ask him to start checking fuses and relays. If it locked due to the immobilizer how does he get around that? We're obviously trying to avoid the hour+ tow to the nearest dealer.

I wish he'd chime in here. I feel like that guy that's always asking hypothetical questions about his "friend" with all these issues... Wasateener where you at?
Old 03-20-2015, 05:22 PM   #5
Reebuck1

Garage
Elect.

When mine got wet it to blew the fuses. But new fuses did not fix the problem.
The main board had developed corrosion (must have been wet for a while) on it and was shorting out the unit.
Cost about $700 to replace and fix. Not sure it is your issue. Just trying to provide you with some more info. Good luck !
Reebuck1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 08:56 PM   #6
Registered Boxster abuser

If you replace the fuses and dried out the board to no avail and still think its the board give itsnotanova
a jingle for a key (for the pill), immobilizer, and ecm. They need to be a set as they are paired.
healthservices is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2015, 02:38 AM   #7

Yeah that's the route I had to go with mine as it was a Sandy flood victim. I'm hoping its just a fuse(s) or relay given that after replacing the ignition switch we still don't have power to the windows, radio, climate control or ignition.
Old 03-21-2015, 11:49 AM   #8
Custom User Title Here

Garage
Don't forget to check all wired connections to the immobilizer. Water sits there and can corrode.
particlewave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2015, 02:36 PM   #9

Removed all the relays and the master fuse and cleaned them up and now... IT LIVES! THe only outstanding issue is the window switches do nothing. The windows drop correctly when doors are opened and for top operation so I dont think its the regulater. The 30A fuse is fine. Is there another relay to check before we start looking for new switches?