Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-09-2015, 02:42 PM   #1

Garage
Question Ultimate radio reception fix?

My radio reception has always been horrible. Doesn't matter if it's AM or FM. Doesn't matter if it was the stock CD-22 or the Becker Indianapolis Pro that I put in to keep the stock look and have a Bluetooth phone hookup.

This month, the Box is going to get some new Alcantara upholstery (separate thread coming soon). This means taking apart the entire dash, A-pillars, et cetera.

My car has option code 618 - Preparation for telephone installation. I'll obviously never be putting in a 15-year old Nokia GSM module in there, but I do have a little antenna sticking up from the top of my windshield frame. Here's what I'm thinking...

Would it be possible to replace the little GSM antenna with a FM radio antenna and connect that to the antenna amplifier? Should this improve reception? Will there be any problems with interference with other cabling going up the A-pillars? Finally, will I ruin my resale value because I've effectively removed option 618?

Looking forward to all constructive feedback.

I'll post photos and write-up of the project if I do decide to go forward with it.

PaulDash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 04:01 AM   #2

Garage
Bump. Almost a hundred of you read this post already.

Can anyone help?
Old 03-11-2015, 04:38 AM   #3

Not sure about resale value

I spent a few years doing UHF and VHF Radio service way back in the 80's. Any antenna is just a wire or conductor, the problem with cars is they are large metal boxes as far as RF goes. Any antenna that you can get outside is going to be an improvement. I am curious why you have bad reception now ? My S has what I consider good reception, try checking you antenna lead for continuity...willing to bet there is an open circuit somewhere.
Pdwight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 05:00 AM   #4

if you figure it out, please post your fix. my reception is awful too.
mump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 09:39 AM   #5

I had horrible AM reception. (97 Boxster). Took to a radio place, they installed a "am signal booster" $40.00 CDN. reception is better, but not great.
Old 03-11-2015, 09:49 AM   #6

Take a normal FM rod antenna (hope that's the right term). Maybe this won't look beautiful on the car, but will be much better than any electronic amplified "short crap antenna".
Smallblock454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 09:50 AM   #7

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by brjak View Post
I had horrible AM reception. (97 Boxster). Took to a radio place, they installed a "am signal booster" $40.00 CDN. reception is better, but not great.
Does anyone know if you can get a booster for the PCM 2 unit? i also struggle with poor reception usually on FM. very crackly and its worse when the wipers are on!
M4SGK1986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 11:32 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by M4SGK1986 View Post
Does anyone know if you can get a booster for the PCM 2 unit? i also struggle with poor reception usually on FM. very crackly and its worse when the wipers are on!
It simply plugged into the antenna hole, than the antenna plugged into it. real simple, it can work with any radio.
Old 04-02-2015, 01:48 AM   #9

Garage
Simple fix

In the end, I didn't convert the GSM antenna to FM, although I'm still thinking of removing it.

The fix for the radio reception was simple - it turned out that my windshield antenna was not connected (and I think there was a problem with the wire), so a new antenna (a length of wire) was glued horizontally under the front right dash cover trim. It works beautifully.