Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-14-2013, 12:06 PM   #1
rsf

Garage
Window goes up when door open

Hi everyone...I've searched the forum, and have found some articles the talk about window issues on the 986, however I'm not able to find the fix or links to how to fix my issue.

I have an '03 Boxster S that the window goes down when I open the door, however as soon as I let go of the handle the window goes right back up. If I move the door handle again, the window goes down, but again, as soon as I let go, it goes right back up. The interior lights seem to know the when the door is open and/or closed, so I don't think it's the door latch.

I've taken off the door panel and all looks un-touched, so before I dive into it, I'm hoping I can find what I need to replace and how to go about doing it.

Any help or links would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

rsf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 02:15 PM   #2
Custom User Title Here

Garage
90% door switch is out. Car sees you pull handle, car drops window, car sees door never opened so when handle is let go, car rolls window back up because as far as its concerned, you never opened the door.
Old 09-14-2013, 03:42 PM   #3
I am my own mechanic....

I thought there was a switch on the latch mechanism that tells the window when latch is open (window down) or engaged (window up).
Timco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 04:20 PM   #4
rsf

Garage
I did reseat the connectors on the latch mechanism, but no luck...I was hoping that was it.

@particlewave - do you know of any DIY links? I've found some on Pelican Parts, but they seem to be covering regulator, window switch, and motor...I can't find anything specific to the door switch you mentioned. Do you have a picture of the part? or where I would find it?

Thanks!
rsf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 05:18 PM   #5
Custom User Title Here

Garage
IIRC, it's in the lock.

Check this thread
Old 09-14-2013, 06:14 PM   #6

Garage
Most likely the door latching mechanism, see info in this thread:

http://986forum.com/forums/general-discussions/41706-getting-2002-boxster-advice-needed-2.html

I had the same issue a few months ago and replaced the door latch to fix the problem. There is a micro switch in the latch unit that fails.

There are a couple of things to be aware of when installing the unit; 1) there is a small paddle that comes off the door lock barrel (key lock barrel) that inserts into the door latch mechanism as you install it (easy to miss... don't ask me how I know), 2) the door latch mechanism attaches to the door handle lever mechanism with a clip that snaps over a small threaded rod and then is locked in-place with a sliding clip. It's hard to see these inside the door, a small mirror on an extension will help.

300K Mile Club
Jager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 07:24 PM   #7

I have a spare handle with switch if you want to buy it. Same town
Trey T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2015, 07:23 PM   #8

I have the same issue. My window goes down by pulling either the inside or outside door handle but goes back up when you release the handle with the door open. I researched on the board and the consensus was to replace the door latch. Of course my '97 is a one year part and the dealer cost was $200. I replaced the latch mechanism and still have the same problem. Any ideas? I replaced the window regulator about 2k ago so I know it is not a problem with that.

BobRickel is offline   Reply With Quote