986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   Blown out tires and bent rims on my 2001 S, what rims should I get? (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/55978-blown-out-tires-bent-rims-my-2001-s-what-rims-should-i-get.html)

NapalmKitteh 02-23-2015 07:39 PM

Blown out tires and bent rims on my 2001 S, what rims should I get?

This past Saturday I hit a piece of wood going over the San Mateo bridge and blew out my two driver side tires. As if that wasn't bad enough, after taking her into the shop to get some new tires I was informed that the two rims were also bent :(

I really love these original rims but I really don't want to drop the 2k+ to get the two rims replaced. What rims are you guys running and what would you recommend? I want to keep the original look as best as I can, don't want anything too crazy or flashy.

Any and all help is appreciated, thanks!

Pictures: Imgur First picture is the chunk of wood I hit and the second is my car being prepped for towing.

san rensho 02-24-2015 03:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NapalmKitteh (Post 437539)
This past Saturday I hit a piece of wood going over the San Mateo bridge and blew out my two driver side tires. As if that wasn't bad enough, after taking her into the shop to get some new tires I was informed that the two rims were also bent :(

I really love these original rims but I really don't want to drop the 2k+ to get the two rims replaced. What rims are you guys running and what would you recommend? I want to keep the original look as best as I can, don't want anything too crazy or flashy.

Pictures: Imgur First picture is the chunk of wood I hit and the second is my car being prepped for towing.

I see sets of OEM wheels for sale all the time on craigslist. I would also take a good look at the undercarriage of tyhe car. That big a piece of wood could have done some serious damage.

Make a claim with your ins co if you have collission.

BYprodriver 02-24-2015 03:28 PM

I prefer to stay with OEM wheels when possible, shop around online for replacements for your set. I believe I saw one for your set on E-bay last week while I was buying a backup spare for my Box.

Gilles 02-24-2015 04:57 PM

OEM wheels

Napalm,

You may want to consider an OEM Cayman wheel set

Panjo Marketplace

The price is right and not too far from you.

PS: I am not related to the seller

KRAM36 02-24-2015 05:07 PM

That blows. Good looking wheels too.

Like san rensho said, check the underside and if you have full coverage insurance, have them pay for it, that's why we carry full coverage insurance. Unless you have a high deductible, I carry a $250 deductible on my car as I know they are not cheap to repair.

Pominoz 02-25-2015 03:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NapalmKitteh (Post 437539)

I had a bent rim on one of my front turbo twists. You can actually get buckled rims straightened, and although I was a bit doubtful, it's come out perfect. Cost me $100, which is a hell of a lot cheaper than a new wheel would have cost me.:D

kk2002s 02-25-2015 03:40 AM

I would think I was looking at my car.
Those are the Sport Design wheel option
I do see them on various used websites, so they are out there
I guess you will need a full set of 4 tires now
Those are 2 piece wheels and supposedly you can buy just the ring piece if that was only part bent.
But I have never seen just that outside piece for sale separately thought. Even from BBS, the mfg

JayG 02-25-2015 05:08 AM

That sucks.
As others have said, look on eBay for replacement wheels.
If they are bent badly, I would be wary of using them if you do any performance driving. They metal has now been stressed and weakened.

Unless your tires are basicially new, you should replace both sides, not jus the destroyed ones

Definitely call your ins company. You may also have a claim against Caltrans or whoever is responsibly for the bridge. They have a responsibility to keep the road clear and be safe to drive.

Bald Eagle 02-25-2015 05:58 AM

Last winter was terrible for potholes in NWIndiana and I managed to hit a few in my Acura CL. I thought I needed to have the wheels balanced but when I changed out the winter tires for summer I found three wheels were bent. There is a company that works out of Chicago and goes around to car dealers with a trailer to straighten wheels. I met the guy at a car dealer and he did the work while I waited (walked a short distance and had lunch actually). If I remember correctly they charged $75 per wheel and they did a fine job. Took between one and two hours. I'm sure there are similar services all over the country.

Larry (the Bald Eagle)

Topless 02-25-2015 06:51 AM

A stock set of 17" 986 takeoffs can be found for $400-$500 often. A stock set of 18" 987 takeoffs can be found for $800-$1000. Hit craigslist and the forums and just make sure the wheels are straight.

Fintro11 02-25-2015 08:01 AM

http://986forum.com/forums/uploads01...1424883632.jpg

I had these repaired, they came out like brand new

Erik Johnson 02-25-2015 11:06 AM

Braid USA makes some fantastic racing wheels. They are expensive to be sure, but then you get what you pay for I guess.

Check them out here: BRAID USA

If you need to order through someone, let me know, I will be happy to help.

Erik Johnson
(970) 344-7761 phone

roma7845 02-25-2015 08:36 PM

Got my tire rims last December 2014 from autopartswarehouse. After delivery, I and uncle immediately change the rims for my Honda Civic. First it was working properly then 2 days after, we noticed that the tire rim had a crack.

We immediately notified the company and promised to return and changed into a new one but men. it was a long process.

roma7845 03-03-2015 08:47 PM

NapalmKitteh, any news to your tire rims?