986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   Key Information Tag (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/55865-key-information-tag.html)

Wallace River 02-15-2015 08:15 AM

Key Information Tag

1 Attachment(s)
I found this key and data tag among the stuff in a box of documents that came with my new-to-me 2000 Boxster base. Can I get a key made, or programmed, using the information on this tag?

Wallace River 02-16-2015 05:30 AM

Nobody?

Nobody caresto comment? Csn i take these to a dealer and get a key programmed or do I need to take the car too?

Deserion 02-16-2015 06:48 AM

If I recall correctly (and I may be entirely wrong here), that code is definitely useful for getting a new key made and remote/Immobilizer programmed. However, I think that it may still entail a trip to the dealer for it to be coded with the cluster.

SJEFFB986 02-16-2015 06:53 AM

I wonder if that's the "valet" key? I don't have one and have never seen one but most cars come with one that only unlocks doors/starts car. No trunk access, etc..

flete25 02-16-2015 07:34 AM

yes I had the same thing in my 03 boxster...I brought that key to the dealer and all I had to do was buy the key fob..and they program it for me...save that tag cause it saves you a lot of headache in the future.

flete25 02-16-2015 07:36 AM

fyi.. that key will open the doors but it wont turn on the car

Wallace River 02-16-2015 10:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deserion (Post 436480)
If I recall correctly (and I may be entirely wrong here), that code is definitely useful for getting a new key made and remote/Immobilizer programmed. However, I think that it may still entail a trip to the dealer for it to be coded with the cluster.

OK, thank you very much for the info!
Quote:

Originally Posted by SJEFFB986 (Post 436483)
I wonder if that's the "valet" key? I don't have one and have never seen one but most cars come with one that only unlocks doors/starts car. No trunk access, etc..

I'll try it some day, but I suspect you're right....there's no insides to this key, so no chip etc.
Quote:

Originally Posted by flete25 (Post 436490)
yes I had the same thing in my 03 boxster...I brought that key to the dealer and all I had to do was buy the key fob..and they program it for me...save that tag cause it saves you a lot of headache in the future.

Beautiful, thank you! I also have another spare main key that was never programmed, according to the previous owner.
Quote:

Originally Posted by flete25 (Post 436491)

Thanks very much!

Paul 02-16-2015 05:42 PM

That code is only good for the key to which it was attached. Its only use would be to program said key into a new or different immobilizer.

Wallace River 02-17-2015 04:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul (Post 436578)
That code is only good for the key to which it was attached. Its only use would be to program said key into a new or different immobilizer.

Really. Well in that case it's not much use to me!

Giller 02-17-2015 07:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by flete25 (Post 436491)

What would be the point of a key that can open the doors but not turn the car on? Most vehicles have a valet key - but the point of a valet key is so the valet can park your car - but not get access to trunks and glove boxes. What am I missing here with this idea?

Trey T 02-17-2015 07:20 AM

In the car industry, if it's a valet key, then you can use it to open the door and start the engine but you cannot open the glovebox- equivalently, the center console. I had a key programmed for $60 in my area, cheapest of three dealership - A FIVE MIN JOB!

I don't have a valet key but that key looks like it has a transponder chip w/ the little nub sticking out parallel to key shaft.

rick3000 02-17-2015 07:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Giller (Post 436634)
What would be the point of a key that can open the doors but not turn the car on? Most vehicles have a valet key - but the point of a valet key is so the valet can park your car - but not get access to trunks and glove boxes. What am I missing here with this idea?

To lock the doors when you are at the beach?