986 Forum - for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   Coolant Leak In Front Of Driver Rear Tire (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/55794-coolant-leak-front-driver-rear-tire.html)

mgfranz 02-10-2015 04:04 PM

Coolant Leak In Front Of Driver Rear Tire
 
What could be the cause of a coolant leak in front of the drivers side tire? The car has been sitting for about 3 months and today was it's first drive since parking it. I checked all levels of fluids before driving, all was normal. Took it out for a 5 mile drive and parked it, got out only to see water dripping from in front of the tire, there was a small amount of moisture near the passenger side as well but I'm assuming it was from the overflow.

I haven't jacked it up yet to take a look so I have no idea what to look for yet.

daveccpa 02-10-2015 04:23 PM

I had the same problem. I had a small crack in the coolant tank. Coolant leaked into the trunk and found a way out in front of the tire. Check your trunk carpet and see if it is wet. If so you have a coolant leak.

It is a DIY project if you have some time. Its a bit of a bugger but isn't too hard.

mgfranz 02-10-2015 04:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by daveccpa (Post 435634)
I had the same problem. I had a small crack in the coolant tank. Coolant leaked into the trunk and found a way out in front of the tire. Check your trunk carpet and see if it is wet. If so you have a coolant leak.

It is a DIY project if you have some time. Its a bit of a bugger but isn't too hard.

Yup, looks like you nailed it. Crap...

http://986forum.com/forums/uploads01...1423615269.jpg

http://986forum.com/forums/uploads01...1423615315.jpg

http://986forum.com/forums/uploads01...1423615357.jpg

NewArt 02-10-2015 06:33 PM

This is a job you can do. Take it easy, totally zen. You may question the motives of the Porsche engineers a few times, question their parentage and refer to them in less than polite terms. This is normal. Breathe. Start again. This is a job you can do.

mgfranz 02-10-2015 06:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NewArt (Post 435654)
This is a job you can do. Take it easy, totally zen. You may question the motives of the Porsche engineers a few times, question their parentage and refer to them in less than polite terms. This is normal. Breathe. Start again. This is a job you can do.

Yeah... I have already been through a few expletives in questioning why Herr Wiedeking would allow such a thing from his designers, but then again, the list could be long...

In hindsight, it makes me wonder if there is an easier way to do the swap, why can't the oil filler hose/grommet just stay in the car and all the trunk side hoses get detached?

jdlmodelt 02-10-2015 08:21 PM

check the coolant cap too
 
it could be the coolant cap and not the coolant tank. I screwed my cap on and got it cross threaded and coolant leaked out the same way yours did.

mgfranz 02-10-2015 09:37 PM

I replaced the coolant cap with an -04 cap last year after I noticed a small drip back then thinking the -01 cap had failed, and I checked it closely today for any obvious signs of leaking but it was clean.

I will know more tomorrow after I pull the tank.

Trey T 02-11-2015 06:54 AM

Since you may have a crack in your radiator, I suggest you inspect your cooling system to see if the components are operating properly. Check fan, clean radiator fins, etc...

mgfranz 02-12-2015 03:03 PM

Yup, found two cracks in the reservoir, what a pain in the ass to remove! I think I will replace the water hoses with ones that are about 1-1 1/2" longer than stock so I can clamp them from the trunk. The oil hose was fairly easy to get to with the right tool.

http://986forum.com/forums/uploads01...1423782178.jpg

mgfranz 02-22-2015 05:52 PM

Ok, reservoir tank changed out, it took longer to get it out than to get it in of course. I found that this job would have been almost impossible with the use of the cable clamp tool, Craftsman Cable Operated Hose Clamp Pliers. For $42 the investment is worth it.
http://986forum.com/forums/uploads01...1424656166.jpg

It should also be noted that if you ever do change one of these out, replace the original water hoses with new ones, not only is it cheap insurance, but it makes the installation so much more simple due to the fresh rubber hoses that flex and bend easier than the old OEM hoses. I also found it to be easier to assemble the water lines if I detached the simple clamps that held the water lines to the underside of the carriage to allow a bit of movement.

It's a pain in the a#$ to do this job, and I really never want to do it again, but if I ever do, I have the right tools and the knowledge to be able to say I can do it in 3-4 hours. :-)

Jager 02-22-2015 08:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mgfranz (Post 435932)
Yup, found two cracks in the reservoir, what a pain in the ass to remove! I think I will replace the water hoses with ones that are about 1-1 1/2" longer than stock so I can clamp them from the trunk. The oil hose was fairly easy to get to with the right tool.

http://986forum.com/forums/uploads01...1423782178.jpg

Where are those cracks located? Bottom side of the reservoir toward the front?

Thanks

redeye280z 02-23-2015 06:09 AM

I am in the process of doing the same job I ordered the tool to make it easier. I was wondering did you access the hoses from underneath the car or from the top of the engine compartment?

mgfranz 02-23-2015 07:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by redeye280z (Post 437420)
I am in the process of doing the same job I ordered the tool to make it easier. I was wondering did you access the hoses from underneath the car or from the top of the engine compartment?

I went from underneath, due to the fact that since I replaced my top with a glass window top I don't have the same access as before. And yes, you have to remove the trans plate and attaching suspension bar to have access. Talk to Woody about a NOS, (new old stock) replacement, he seems to have some of the best used parts available at very reasonable prices.

The cracks were more towards the back and on the bottom.

daveccpa 02-23-2015 09:08 AM

I did the job a few months ago from the top side. I didn't take anything off. Its a pain and many scratched knuckles later it was done. You are saving a few hundred in labor though.


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 11:05 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2018 Pelican Parts, LLC - Posts may be archived for display on the Pelican Parts Website