Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-15-2022, 12:48 PM   #1

Speedster Humps - Storage in the Rear Trunk

I impulsively purchased some speedster humps.

In my defense, they were the right color, the seller was local, and the cost was reasonable. I already installed spinlocks for my hardtop, so there wasn't an additional expense in time or money to make use of them.

The humps didn't come with storage bags or instructions for storing them in the trunk. At about the 45-second point of this video, the owner removes one of the humps from the trunk prior to installing it. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xWRHt9urZ78

The humps shown in the video are in the storage bags and I cannot tell exactly how he oriented them for storage. I've tried a few configurations that work, but I am wondering whether there is a method that I'm missing. Here are some photos of the configurations I've used.

Unless someone has OEM storage bags that they are willing to part with, I will need to develop some type of padding or fabric to avoid damaging the humps when they are in the trunk.

I will appreciate any feedback or suggestions from what I expect is a relatively small group of speedster hump owners.

Painted Bumperettes, 2004 (OEM) Top, Homelink integrated in dash with Targa switch, 997 Shifter, Carrera Gauge Cluster with silver gauge faces, heated 12-way driver & 8-way passenger seats, Litronics, silver console
KevinH1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2022, 08:18 PM   #2

Garage
I have storage bags. I fit mine into the trunk kind of like picture one. They are face up. With the ‘horn’ that goes around towards the door pointed towards the taillight. So the left side stores on the right, the right stores on the left; with both spun 180 degrees.
Old 07-16-2022, 04:03 AM   #3

Thanks for the response.

Do the storage bags have part numbers?
Painted Bumperettes, 2004 (OEM) Top, Homelink integrated in dash with Targa switch, 997 Shifter, Carrera Gauge Cluster with silver gauge faces, heated 12-way driver & 8-way passenger seats, Litronics, silver console

Last edited by KevinH1990; 07-16-2022 at 04:08 AM.
Old 07-16-2022, 04:11 AM   #4

Based on your response, it appears the passenger-side hump fits like this:

Once I'm sure that is correct, I'll find some padding and start experimenting with the other hump.

Thanks,
Old 07-16-2022, 05:32 AM   #5
1998 Boxster Silver/Red

When sporting my humps I store them in the frunk.
Old 07-16-2022, 06:04 AM   #6

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinH1990 View Post
Based on your response, it appears the passenger-side hump fits like this:

Once I'm sure that is correct, I'll find some padding and start experimenting with the other hump.

Thanks,
Yes. Then I put the drivers side on top, and tucked into the passenger side.

Maybe an old cotton blanket would work as padding.
Old 07-16-2022, 07:05 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinH1990 View Post
Do the storage bags have part numbers?
Yes, the bag is the same for both pieces. part number is:

986-721-980-00 Speedster Hump Bag $377.54

and you need two. Mine had to be shipped from Germany.
#317 550 Spyder Anniversary Edition 2004 Boxster S, 3.8L Flat Six Innovations engine, PSS9s, etc, etc . . .
The contents of my posts are for entertainment only. As confirmed by my many motor sports fails, I am not qualified to give product endorsements or mechanical advice

Last edited by Oldcarguy; 07-16-2022 at 07:25 AM.
Oldcarguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2022, 07:13 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by BFeller View Post
Yes. Then I put the drivers side on top, and tucked into the passenger side. . .
This is how I store mine in the Porsche pouches.
#317 550 Spyder Anniversary Edition 2004 Boxster S, 3.8L Flat Six Innovations engine, PSS9s, etc, etc . . .
The contents of my posts are for entertainment only. As confirmed by my many motor sports fails, I am not qualified to give product endorsements or mechanical advice

Last edited by Oldcarguy; 07-16-2022 at 08:40 AM.
Oldcarguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2022, 08:21 AM   #9

Thanks for the replies.

I'd like to have the OEM Porsche bags, but I will look at other options first. I think this might be a good option: https://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200663276_200663276
Old 07-16-2022, 09:05 AM   #10

You beat me to these!!! He was going to send me pictures of the scratches. Never heard from him again

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
z_wwrecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2022, 05:37 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by z_wwrecker View Post
You beat me to these!!! He was going to send me pictures of the scratches. Never heard from him again

I am surprised to learn someone else was interested. When I search on "Speedster Humps" most of the threads contain comments from people who don't like them. If it turns out that I'm not using them as much as I thought I would, I'll send you a PM. For the record, they do have some minor flaws. They must have started life on a red car. They seem to have been professionally painted, but in the spots where they rub against each other, you can see the red paint underneath. Fortunately, the flaws aren't obvious when the humps are on the car.

Returning to my storage, issue, I picked up a moving blanket at Harbor Freight. It was on sale for $4.99. Here's the method I'm using:

1. Put passenger side hump at the bottom, rotated approximately 180 degrees from its installed orientation.

2. Cover with moving blanket. (I will trim the blanket and explored making it into a bag.)

Here's the part where I'm stuck. It looks like this configuration (with the driver's side hump oriented in the same direction as when its installed) might fit under the closed trunk lid.

Rotated the other way, it looks like the trunk lid will hit it. I may have misunderstood BFeller's post, but it appears he is recommending that I rotate the driver's side 180 degrees from its installed configuration. (I've found it usually works well to heed the voice of experience.) In my car, the vertical part of the trunk that houses the coolant, and oil filler and the dipstick is preventing the driver's side hump from sliding far enough to the right and rear. I have not been pushing hard when aligning the humps out of concern for damaging them.

Thanks in advance for comments or suggestions.

Last edited by KevinH1990; 07-16-2022 at 05:40 PM.
Old 07-16-2022, 05:45 PM   #12

Here's a photo of the driver's side hump rotated 180 degrees from its installed configuration.

Here are some photos showing how I'm attempting to assess whether the humps will be struck by the trunk lid when I close it.

Old 07-16-2022, 05:50 PM   #13

I am just glad someone local is enjoying them. Let me know if you get sick of them or come across a hardtop deal

z_wwrecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2022, 02:12 AM   #14
WALDMEISTER

Garage
Glad to hear, that everybody is playing that puzzle game. I barely put them in the trunk, so each time I'm having a hard time to remember the "how to".
I put the right one facing backwards in the left corner, a folded sunshade in between, and the driver's side one on top...slighty shifted to the right...facing backward.
I think there is only 1 way they fit anyway.

Spyder???

Last edited by BRAN; 07-17-2022 at 02:44 AM.
BRAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2022, 07:05 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRAN View Post

Spyder???
I may need to find one of these.

Back to the hump-storage issue. I haven't summoned the courage to close the trunk, but it appears to fit with the passenger side facing to the rear and the driver's side facing forward.

I haven't found a configuration in which facing the driver's side to the rear works. I'll keep obsessing over this until I'm confident I've found the best procedure.

I need to have a plan for storing the humps that I can implement quickly and without risking damage to the humps. I don't like to leave the top open when I'm away from the car for more than a few minutes. The area where I live can also have thunderstorms that are difficult to predict.
Old 07-17-2022, 07:25 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by z_wwrecker View Post
Let me know if you get sick of them or come across a hardtop deal
I will.

I experienced some good luck when I bought my hard top. The seller put it on Ebay during the middle of the summer. He wouldn't ship and because the seller was moving, the buyer needed to pick it up in South Carolina within a few days after the auction ended. I was the only bidder.

I got a good price, but I had to drive to the northern part of South Carolina to pick it up over the 4th of July holiday. Fortunately, I had already installed the spin locks in my car and was able to accomplish the mission without mishap.

I haven't checked the hard top market lately, but if it is the same as it was when I bought mine, I recommend that you determine in advance how far you are willing to drive to pick it up and have a plan for collecting it.

Another strategy to consider (which worked for me when I bought a hard top for my Miata) is to contact owners who are selling a car with a hard top and ask if they are willing to sell the top separately. They will usually tell you that they want to wait until after they sell the car to make a decision.

Good luck.
Old 07-17-2022, 08:31 AM   #17
WALDMEISTER

Garage
Yup...I think you got it...driver's side facing FORWARD...sorry, my bad.
And that is the only way to do it. The slight curvature of the trunk lid offers sufficient space, it will never touch the humps (and I have the 2cm thick strap system from Porsche installed in my trunk). Still enough headroom.
Old 07-21-2022, 07:20 PM   #18

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=opFQ7OSDVzs&t=466s

I found this video which provides a more detailed view of the storage alignment. I need to watch it a few times, but it appears that he has the driver’s side hump stored on the driver’s side of the trunk with the front of the hump facing to the rear of the car.

The passenger-side hump is stored on the passenger side also with the front facing rearward.

The video increases my interest in procuring a set of the OEM storage bags.

Last edited by KevinH1990; 07-21-2022 at 07:25 PM.
Old 07-22-2022, 03:52 AM   #19
1998 Boxster Silver/Red

The frunk. When I NEED to STORE the humps... they go in the frunk. I don't cart them around when I don;t plan on using them, and the frunk is not the long-term solution to my storage needs... for the humps lie 'flat', in their bags, and under my bed until used. If they need to come off the car for one reason or another... in the frunk they go. Much cooler than the oven trunk.

Old 07-22-2022, 09:35 AM   #20

Frustrated about storage?? Sell them, Im looking for a set. 😁

JBauer is offline   Reply With Quote