Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-06-2015, 08:47 AM   #1

No Bumperettes panel

Do any of you fine chaps happen to have a dxf. or dwg. of the panel used to cover up the bumperettes/license plate area after a Bumperettectomy?

WillH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2015, 06:12 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillH View Post
Do any of you fine chaps happen to have a dxf. or dwg. of the panel used to cover up the bumperettes/license plate area after a Bumperettectomy?
See if you can buy a European bumper as these did not have the cutouts for the US bumperette safety mandate. I imagine a aftermarket plastic panel to cover the holes might be a product someone here could produce? Perhaps a cutout with mesh to extract more heat from the muffler area? Just thinking out loud here.

AKL
'02, Arctic Silver/Graphite Gray, 2.7, TIP, 2nd cat delete, Charlie Chan muffler,de-ambered, Braille Battery, clear tailights, painted bumperettes, clear third brake light, M030 sway bars, F shock tower braces, clear rear deck, '03 side vents. 15mm spacers fore & aft.
Allen K. Littlefield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2015, 07:25 AM   #3

I was thinking of meshing out that whole area al spec boxster as well.....there is just so much heat back there!!

there are heat shield and bumper components in the way of meaningful airflow. You can see this a little by just pulling the bumperettes....I have never pulled the whole rear bumper.

It would be great if anybody with their rear bumper off figure out how an exhaust air route while retaining the bumper and heat shield for remaining components
Old 02-07-2015, 08:56 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaykay View Post
I was thinking of meshing out that whole area al spec boxster as well.....there is just so much heat back there!!

there are heat shield and bumper components in the way of meaningful airflow. You can see this a little by just pulling the bumperettes....I have never pulled the whole rear bumper.

It would be great if anybody with their rear bumper off figure out how an exhaust air route while retaining the bumper and heat shield for remaining components
Perhaps drilling a number of holes in the bumper bar might help air flow. Don't quite know what it looks like without removing the rear bumper panel. Anyone out there with a pic of the bumper off so we could have a squizz?

AKL
'02, Arctic Silver/Graphite Gray, 2.7, TIP, 2nd cat delete, Charlie Chan muffler,de-ambered, Braille Battery, clear tailights, painted bumperettes, clear third brake light, M030 sway bars, F shock tower braces, clear rear deck, '03 side vents. 15mm spacers fore & aft.
Old 02-07-2015, 11:24 AM   #5

Garage
Just put mine back on a couple months ago, don't know if these will help......

RayW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2015, 01:57 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allen K. Littlefield View Post
See if you can buy a European bumper as these did not have the cutouts for the US bumperette safety mandate. I imagine a aftermarket plastic panel to cover the holes might be a product someone here could produce? Perhaps a cutout with mesh to extract more heat from the muffler area? Just thinking out loud here.

AKL
Thanks for your reply Allen,
I'm looking for a drawing file for the fore mentioned panel as I know others have done this and it would probably take me little time to tool a machine at work to produce the piece out of some 1/8" sheet aluminum. Not a lot of time on my plate for pattern making hence the request for the file.

Jaykay,
I'm not sure but I think those spec Boxster guys run no rear bumper or heat shields so there would be no hindrance for hot air getting out.
I'm keeping the bumper just want to lose the but plugs. I think cutting bigger holes than filling with mesh would not be cosmetically appealing knowing what lies behind them.
Old 02-08-2015, 07:53 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayW View Post
Just put mine back on a couple months ago, don't know if these will help......

I think there is a aluminum bar that attaches to those shock absorber type mounts on both sides of the car under the tail lights. That bar could be drilled for heat passage then painted black so it would not be visible through a mesh screen. That screen could consist of a perimeter of aluminum with a center panel for license mounting. I notice that Ferrari's have a whole fine mesh rear panel, in some cases, where heat easily flows outward. I would keep the horizontal aluminum bumper bar just for a bit of protection since it would be used on the street. More thinking out loud. Thanks for the photos.

AKL
Old 02-08-2015, 08:18 AM   #8

search, as I think cheetah on this forum has such a thing. you could also just cut the whole thing out a la spec boxster as suggested, but as stated only looks good if you've removed the actual bumper as well (although drilling it might be an option, or gsr make low-profile racing bumpers). the other option previously offered is a good one - euro bumper cover.
The Radium King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2015, 10:00 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Radium King View Post
search, as I think cheetah on this forum has such a thing. you could also just cut the whole thing out a la spec boxster as suggested, but as stated only looks good if you've removed the actual bumper as well (although drilling it might be an option, or gsr make low-profile racing bumpers). the other option previously offered is a good one - euro bumper cover.
Looked up Cheetah parts online and found the piece I need. Problem is it will cost me about three hundred beans to get it here, I can make it for around 40 if I had a drawing file.

When I'm finished screwing around whith my headlights I'll have to take some measurements and get on CAD if no one has the file handy.
Old 02-08-2015, 10:57 AM   #10
Need For Speed

Garage
I might be in the minority, but I like the Bumperettes.
KRAM36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2015, 01:13 PM   #11

Here you go...
Attached Images

Old 02-08-2015, 03:41 PM   #12

Quote:
Here you go...
thanks Jaykay but that's what I'm trying to avoid

The back end would look really good with that whole panel cut out but I think it would be bad to run no bumper on the street.
Maybe window the bumper, reinforce for strength, makes it more see through, paint it black with black grill. Could work...
Old 02-08-2015, 04:00 PM   #13
Rennzenn

Garage
Yeah, no bumper for the street. What happens if you get rear ended? Lawyer would have fun with that.
Old 02-08-2015, 04:57 PM   #14

Did I say remove the bumper? Don't think so. BSRs have light bumpers for the track so this vent is a no brainer.

You've got to route air around it if possible. Black out all components/bumper and mesh it up so it looks good....and this just food for thought not marching orders. I am just thinking about it myself...
Old 02-09-2015, 01:27 PM   #15

Quote:
Did I say remove the bumper? Don't think so. BSRs have light bumpers for the track so this vent is a no brainer.

You've got to route air around it if possible. Black out all components/bumper and mesh it up so it looks good....and this just food for thought not marching orders. I am just thinking about it myself...
Did a quick search for a BSR bumper but came up nada. You wouldn't happen to have a link or a photo to post up would you? You've made me curious.

From what I've seen of the stock bumper, it looks like an extrusion that could probably be windowed and reinforced to be as strong as stock. Then you could get your airflow.
Old 02-09-2015, 01:32 PM   #16

on behalf of the j's (jk, jfro):

986 aero & cooling mods
The Radium King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 01:34 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by j.fro View Post
Yeah, no bumper for the street. What happens if you get rear ended? Lawyer would have fun with that.
We live in the non-litigious frozen north so not really afraid of being sued. Never mind the lawyers, I need a bumper to keep the rest of the no-fault insured drivers here in Quebec from trying to drive through the back of the car

But still don't want bumperettes
Old 02-09-2015, 01:41 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Radium King View Post
on behalf of the j's (jk, jfro):

986 aero & cooling mods
Thanks,
Don't know how I missed that thread...