Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-04-2015, 08:01 AM   #1
hes

Question re: window regulator and mechanic's responsibility

I have a 2000 Boxster that had problems with moisture coming in through driver's side door. My mechanic traced it to a rubber seal in the door that needed to be replaced. Not the vapor barrier; it's a rubber seal that goes around entire door, surprisingly expensive part. After I got the car back from installation of the rubber seal, the first time I tried to lower the window completely it stopped an inch or two from bottom of window opening (i.e., opened shy an inch of opening completely). I then tried to use switch to move window back up to close it, but it wouldn't move (or may have moved an inch or so, not sure).

At this point I'm thinking that the mechanic failed to adjust something properly when they put the door back together (I don't have clear idea of how electic window regulator/motor system works). But it was raining and I have no garage, so I tried jiggering window switch up and down to see if that would help anything. It didn't, I tried using my hand to help window up, that didn't help. There was grinding when I used switch, and at some point the grinding stopped, the motor was still whirring when I pressed the switch, so I figure I broke something. At this point the window moves freely up and down, so I lift it with my hands to closed position.

My mechanic now says it needs a new regulator, that it's common for regulators to go bad in Boxster with 75,000 miles, and that it is a total coincidence that I had this problem the first time I tried to lower the window after they worked on the innards of the door. This sounds odd to me.

My main question has to do with whether my initial problem with window (the stopping an inch or so from bottom of window opening the first time I try to open it after getting it back from mechanic) was likely caused by something the mechanic did wrong or failed to adjust properly when reassembling the door after installing the rubber seal. I realize my jiggering probably made matters worse and destroyed the regulator. But I can't help thinking it's some error on the mechanics part that left me out in the rain with a window stuck almost completely open.

Can anyone tell me whether mistake in reassembling the door could cause my initial window problem? Or is it, like the shop says, a complete coincidence that my window fails the first time I open it after they do extensive work in the door? Thanks!

hes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 08:35 AM   #2

Well it is quite a coincidence, but judging by various forums and talking to mechanics, the Porsche window regulators going out is pretty common and even happens on cars with 20,000 miles or less.
They could have screwed something up (like doing something that cased the mechanism to bind up). But working on the door could have also been the final straw on a regulator that was on the way out anyway.

Last edited by Retroman1969; 02-04-2015 at 08:37 AM.
Retroman1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 08:45 AM   #3
Custom User Title Here

Garage
It's certainly possible that it's a coincidence, but it does sound somewhat fishy.
Which seal did they replace, exactly? The only seals I know of are the inner door seal on the outer door seal.

If it were my car, I take the door panel off myself and have a look in there see if they left something inside (like a tool) that would've jammed the window up on its way down. I'm sure that if they did leave something in there and they found it later when doing the window repair, they would never admit it.

Last edited by particlewave; 02-04-2015 at 08:48 AM.
particlewave is offline   Reply With Quote