Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-02-2019, 04:47 PM   #21

Is this part something that could be 3D printed? Could a good unbroken piece be scanned into a file and then used to 3D print new ones? Is the scanning and creation of the file something that costs a fortune to have done?

Former: 2003 S, 3.6 LN Nickies, ARP rod bolts, under-drive pulley, Fabspeed sport headers, Softronic tune, 987 airbox 987 motor mount, Function-First Sport motor mount insert, Ben's short shifter, Nine8Six projector headlights & center caps, ROW M030, stainless flexible brake lines, B-K rollbar extension & fire extinguisher mount, hardtop
PaulE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2019, 07:55 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoxMann View Post
I think that's going to be the plan. I'm going to try gluing it first. And if that fails, I may just remove/cut away the first section of the liner. Behind that, it's in place and fine.
Follow up on this . . .

I just put a long bead of Super Glue on the leading edge of the headliner fabric and pressed it against the roof approx where it would be touching if the plastic clip was intact. It's been a few days now, and so far so good.
BoxMann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2019, 07:33 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoxMann View Post
Follow up on this . . .

I just put a long bead of Super Glue on the leading edge of the headliner fabric and pressed it against the roof approx where it would be touching if the plastic clip was intact. It's been a few days now, and so far so good.
It's been about two weeks now, and it's holding up great, and looks as good as new.

Anyone having a problem with the headliner falling down on their head, instead of cutting it out, or spending $700 for a new one, do what I did -- super glue along the leading edge of the cloth, hold it in position against the roof for about a minute, and let the glue do it's job.
BoxMann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2020, 02:43 PM   #24

Velcro strips boys - $4.95 worked on mine.
Stuttgart70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2020, 04:44 PM   #25
Will there be cake?

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 78F350 View Post
I have this problem on my 01. Tried double stick tape and it didn't last. I have been thinking of just pulling the whole liner out. Does anyone know if I pull the liner out, is it just like the earlier tops without the liner?
yes...my front clip messed up on 2 of my cars and I cut out the headliner, to hell with it. My upholstery shop (the convertible top experts in the area) said this is common, it is expensive to fix and recommended I remove the headliner or buy a new top and headliner. I was tempted, some of the new tops are really nice, but if the top isn't down, I'm probably not driving it.
tonythetiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2020, 10:48 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuttgart70 View Post
Velcro strips boys - $4.95 worked on mine.
Great idea! How did you attach to each side: glue, tape or stitched on?
cc986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2022, 07:21 PM   #27

possible headliner trim solution?

Does anyone have a piece of the trim that has been pulled from their car? I found "trimlock", company that makes this type of product.

One of these may work.. finding a retail distributor so we don't have to spend $250 dollars for a 250 foot box would have to happen!
Attached Images

Stiglitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2022, 03:36 AM   #28

Headliner Trim

I'm having Trimloc send me some samples, to see if it will work
Cross Fingers!!
Old 09-22-2022, 12:14 PM   #29

Let us know if it works. I'm need of a fix
Old 09-22-2022, 12:22 PM   #30

Let us know if it works. I'm in need of a fix

Last edited by Wingnut2u; 09-22-2022 at 12:58 PM.
Wingnut2u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2022, 11:12 AM   #31

Updates

I'm having more samples sent.
i tried some door edging, but with the hot glue..... no bueno!!

Here's some pics of a POC usign one of the trim pieces i can get in length of 54" which would be great.

This trim piece to replace the cracked/broken one. As for how to attach the fabric... I don't want to get into messy glue or lengthy-finger killing sewing (and possible tearing!).

My POC I am using simple snap attachments on the fabric, you can then hole punch the plastic on the trim piece.

I am also thinking possibly some 1/4" or 1/2" velcro on the fabric, but again, glue...

Thoughts??

(see attached pics and POC)

Old 04-28-2023, 10:37 PM   #32

Hi. 2002 Base Boxster with a new top (glass window) but now the headliner is sagging due to the proverbial broken plastic strip/clip. Been reading the threads, but haven’t come across a good fix. Has anyone tried taking the strip/clip off an old top and sewing that into the existing headliner? Not sure if that’s possible. And would have to figure out how to sew it in without removing the headliner.

alohaboxster is offline   Reply With Quote