Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-28-2003, 04:58 PM   #1

Question Retrofit '03 glass soft top?

Has anyone heard of anyone retrofitting an '03 soft top with glass on an earlier boxster? Of all the improvements that are on the '03s, the glass convertible top seems to be one of the best. Just wondered if anyone has heard of anyone doing it.

Thanks,

JBG

JonnyBGood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2003, 09:51 PM   #2
b0xt0La

You mean this?
Alienz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2003, 03:53 AM   #3
Forum Contributor

I'd like to know more about this. Does the top have to be replaced or can the glass be bought and put in an 02 top.
Old 10-29-2003, 04:41 AM   #4

my understanding of retrofitting anything prior to an 03 top to a glass fitting soft top is that parts of the actually framework need to be changed. I beleive the back part of the soft top has a different layout. For instance anything prior to the 03 soft top the plastic window folds in half while in the down position, but the glass to obviously cant fold and lays flat while in the down position, so it only makes sense that some of the framework needs to be replaced.
I have heard of kits for this but dont really know where to tell you to go for replacing this...
jfmillr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2003, 05:07 AM   #5
Forum Contributor

thanks for info--sounds logical, I've never understood why a soft windown was ever used. VW cabs had glass rear windows in the mid 80's
I'll do some more research and see what I can come up with. (nothing is impossible as long as someone else is doing it)
Old 10-29-2003, 05:31 AM   #6
b0xt0La

I wanted to make the same post few days ago about the exact same subject. I'm looking for an alternative to the hard-top. Most of the aftermarket soft=tops I've found come with plastic windows.
Old 10-29-2003, 03:52 PM   #7

I kinda figured that it either isn't possible, or that there would have to be some changes to the conv hardware. If you watch the window as it goes into the down position, it MAY be possible to have a smaller piece of glass that does not fold into the top if there was more room above the glass.

I just got my 2000 boxster and I thought I'd check it out and see if anyone has been able to make this retrofit.

Thanks guys,

JBG

Oh jfmillr, I saw your post about being from around the DC area. I am up in MD, but I've had my boxster less than a week
Old 10-29-2003, 06:24 PM   #8

Do not know of anyone who has done it due to the cost. The 2003 has a different frame with a 4th bow. Frame is $ 6,534.16 and the top is $2,069.20. Plus labor. Jeff
Tool Pants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2003, 06:53 PM   #9
Forum Contributor

At that price, that ought to interest some aftermarket concern into some serious engineering.
Old 10-29-2003, 07:13 PM   #10
b0xt0La

YOu are better off buying a hard top then.
Old 10-29-2003, 07:27 PM   #11

You're probably right. I'm looking for a hardtop anyway. I just missed one on ebay that sold for 800 bucks in my color even! Too bad I didn't realize the going price.