Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-30-2015, 05:20 PM   #1

$2200 on my kitchen table

I've been accumulating parts over the last mo that will be going on my CSS. They include:

•IPD plenum and GT3 82mm throttle body (bought on Suncoast's Christmas sale)
•GT3 front brake ducts
•Brey-Krause fire extinguisher bracket and fire extinguisher
•Tarett rear toe control arms
•Tarett lower control arm bushings
•Braided brake lines

It will be a few wks before I can begin adding the parts. I'll probably start with the suspension components first as the current setup has lost its ability to get into proper toe specs and I'm tired of a pulling car. Hopefully these pieces help it stay in alignment better.

2008 Boxster S Limited Edition #005
2008 Cayman S Sport - Signal Green
1989 928 S4 5 spd - black
1987 928 S4 - Granite Green Metallic (Felsengrun)
husker boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 06:30 PM   #2

That reminds me of a quoted signature on Rennlist....."What part of Porsche Racing did you think would be inexpensive............ the Porsche part or the Racing part?"

Go and try to buy some air cooled 911 parts......................
coreseller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2015, 03:58 AM   #3
I am my own mechanic....

Actual cost of raw materials pictured.....$7.00.

I should have gone into the aluminum /steel casting business.
Timco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2015, 04:08 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timco View Post
Actual cost of raw materials pictured.....$7.00.

I should have gone into the aluminum /steel casting business.
Tim - you see the brake cooler thingny? the left side one, in adv black composite. The injection mold just to manufacture half of it (the top face) between $20~$30k to fabricate. The complete part will never be twice as much but not far off. I'd say a good US$40,000. That is only for the "left" side btw. There is also the right side to manufacture.

If you do go into this business, prepare min. $2,500,000 just to get you started mate. Best of luck with your career change if you find this inspiring

OP - cool toys! Enjoy
Old 01-31-2015, 04:26 AM   #5
Beginner

Garage
What kind of power improvement might be had with the GT3 plenum, and how will you implement it?
Old 01-31-2015, 04:51 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamesp View Post
What kind of power improvement might be had with the GT3 plenum, and how will you implement it?
Honestly, not that much. 10-15hp is the estimated advantage. Not much bang for the buck when you consider I paid $860 for it. But that was 25% off and I had Christmas money to spend, so why not?

From what I've read, this mod should be in conjunction with a set of headers with fewer / smaller cats and a software upgrade. I haven't descended to that part of the slippery slope yet and don't think I will. That would be another $2K for a potential +25hp. I could spend that kind of money at Porsche driving school and make that much improvement in skill.

Not sure what you mean by how will I implement it? I will be doing the change myself and the only dyno I have is a butt dyno. My hope is it doesn't affect daily usage and gives me that little extra push vs other 987.1s. Hope that covers your question.
2008 Boxster S Limited Edition #005
2008 Cayman S Sport - Signal Green
1989 928 S4 5 spd - black
1987 928 S4 - Granite Green Metallic (Felsengrun)

Last edited by husker boxster; 01-31-2015 at 04:55 AM.
husker boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2015, 06:32 AM   #7

IPD plenum

My hope is it doesn't affect daily usage and gives me that little extra push vs other 987.1s.[/QUOTE]

I installed the IPD plenum along with the large GT3 throttle body about 5 years ago and I don't thing that you will notice any downside on a daily driver, IMHO the biggest difference you will notice is a very smooth power curve and perhaps a 'relaxed breathing' (...?) at the higher rpm range.

I also have the SpeedArt exhaust that complements the IPD, I would love to have a nice set of headers ($$$) but one of the main brand manufacturer (cannot remember whom..) told me that the real improvement would be with a catless header.
Unfortunately, living in CA that may not be a very good idea, unless you want to remove them every other year to pass smog..

Gilles is offline   Reply With Quote