986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   My Boxster wont do anything at all! (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/55582-my-boxster-wont-do-anything-all.html)

austinkthompson 01-27-2015 08:28 AM

My Boxster wont do anything at all!

Hey everybody! So my 1999 Boxster did something weird a while ago. I had parked it at the store and when I came back, it wouldn't do anything. When I put the key in, my electronics will turn on, but when I try to start the engine. Nothing. It wont crank or click or do anything. I tried it a few times and it still wouldn't do anything.

So I gave up and went to the Chik-Fil-A across the street to de-stress. Came back about 30 minutes later, gave it a try, started right up with no problem. I took it to my coworker, a car guy/aircraft mechanic and his ODB computer wasn't picking up any codes. So we never found out what caused it to do that.

Well, I drove it to work and now it's doing the same thing. Except that instead of only 30 minutes, it's been an entire day and it still wont start up.

We put a battery charger on it for 2 hours this morning. We disconnected it and my car started up fine, ran a bit odd during warm up but it usually does that when it's cold and it hasn't been turned on in a while. We turned the car back off. Wen't to give it another go, same thing. Wont crank or do anything again. We're still not getting any error codes and all of my sensors are reading fine.

Apart from a dead battery we have no idea what could be causing it. But would a dead battery work intermittently like this? Shouldn't it just stop working all together?

SJEFFB986 01-27-2015 08:42 AM

Loose connection somewhere? I would visually check all connections associated with the battery. Make sure all tight, free of corrosion, no wires frayed or corroded, etc. Visual trouble shoot is the first thing to do. Good luck!

SeanZ4 01-27-2015 08:42 AM

Ignition switch. Do a search on this. It's just the electronic part. When they go, they do all kinds of wacky stuff. Mine did the same thing a year or so ago. It's an easy fix.

kjc2050 01-27-2015 08:52 AM

If it is the electrical portion of your switch (and it sounds as though it may be), read this entire thread: http://986forum.com/forums/general-discussions/46411-ignition-switch-replacement-holy-crap.html

CoBeerToad 01-27-2015 12:36 PM

If your electronics are working fine, I'd limit my research to the ignition switch. If it's a manual, it might be an easy check to jump the clutch switch to see if that is the culprit first before digging out the switch.

pjq 01-27-2015 02:06 PM

Its a clutch pedal switch, if i recall its about a $15 item. Do a search on this forum or check Pelican Parts forum.

austinkthompson 01-27-2015 02:08 PM

It doesn't have a clutch. I have the tiptronic model. I heard that it could be the neutral safety switch. The car thinks it's in R or Drive so it won't start up so it doesn't ruin an engine or transmission. I have no clue.

Also, my alarm literally just went off while I was at work. I unlocked it and turned the alarm off. I closed my door and guess what? My windows keep opening up and closing like I'm opening my door! GREAT! Can't WAIT for it to rain!

pjq 01-27-2015 02:32 PM

Well thats the limit of my experience with the Boxster but on my Subaru Forester (automatic) I do have that situation where I have to insure the shift is hard in Park for the car to start. If its just a little bit off it won't start.
Your window and alarm problem ....... I hope that doesn't happen to me.

Smallblock454 01-27-2015 03:10 PM

Would also check camshaft and crankshaft sensor.

Luv2Box 01-27-2015 03:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by austinkthompson (Post 433588)
It doesn't have a clutch. I have the tiptronic model. I heard that it could be the neutral safety switch. The car thinks it's in R or Drive so it won't start up so it doesn't ruin an engine or transmission. I have no clue.

Also, my alarm literally just went off while I was at work. I unlocked it and turned the alarm off. I closed my door and guess what? My windows keep opening up and closing like I'm opening my door! GREAT! Can't WAIT for it to rain!

There is a black box under the driver's seat that has several connections going to it. If any of the connections are loose or corroded it will cause the circumstances you are relating here. you will have to pull the seat to get to it. Check it for water damage as well, if you've had any leaks the water will settle in the low spot under the seats and this is where the little box lives.:cheers:

Run 01-27-2015 09:38 PM

Answer has been given its the key switch. Take it out and put in a new one. Its not an easy fit and the set screws are a pita. Make sure you have the switch pushed fully back in place if you dont expect weird issues.

Fatbloke 01-29-2015 01:59 AM

I have read of some cars electronics doing weird things if the battery has deteriorated a bit. I had an issue with an ABS error on another car intermittently coming up but the dealer could find no fault. Put in a new, more powerful battery and the error has never reappeared. May be worth trying another battery if you can get a loan of one for a few days just to eliminate that.