Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-28-2003, 12:27 PM   #1
Forum Member

question about RUF wheels

hello everyone,

i'm new to the forum, but i have a specific question that maybe you folks can help with. i'll be getting my 2000 boxster s soon, and want to get nicer rims for it.

i was considering the RUF rims that they put on the RUF 3400 boxster. i believe they are 19x8.5-235/35/19 fronts, and 19x10-275/30/19 rears.

my question is, will this fit OK, and how will it affect performance? i've seen threads that say 235 may be too wide for the fronts, but that 275s in the rear should be ok. for those of you who know about rims/wheels, can you tell me if that's true? and how much would it slow down my car, if at all? are there any other 19s that you would recommend?

and finally, what kind of tires would you recommend?

thanks a lot in advance

george

geo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2003, 06:37 PM   #2

I have not seen anything stating 19" will work or not. The key to consider is overall diameter and width. Check out a few tire company websites (or tirerack,.com), look at the tire specifics and compare sizes. They should be as close to possible as the factory 18" specs. Alternatively, call a few dealers and ask the service guys.

Regarding tires, I purchased Pirelli P-Zero Rosso a few months ago (had Conti ContactSport b4 that). The P-Zeros are great; handle the road like "glue." I have 3000 miles on 'em and they look like new. However, time will tell as the Contis also looked good at 3000 miles, but at 8000 miles, the change started to show up (noise, color/texture change = ****************, they are getting bald!!).
ehljags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2003, 09:31 PM   #3
Forum Member

thanks

thanks for the reply-- i've since done more research, and found that the 19" ruf wheels will in fact fit on my boxster s. i've also heard good things about the pirelli p zeros. i'm considering either those or the bridgestone s-03s.

does anyone have the s03s on their boxster? how do you like them?
Old 10-30-2003, 03:06 PM   #4
Regional Moderator

I'd give a thumbs down to the 19" size. I think you are looking at a really rough ride and risk of trashing the rims with potholes. I personally don't even think manufacturers should make 30-series tires, that's just not enough sidewall to be safe.

Since it sounds like you'll be taking delivery with the 18" wheels on, I'd put some miles on before deciding you want something even stiffer. There are lots of really cool looking 18" options for the Boxster, check out www.WheelEnhancement.com, which--lucky you--happens to be based in So Cal.

Congrats on the car.

-Charlie
CharlesGordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2003, 03:26 PM   #5
Forum Member

thanks

charlie,

thx for your input.. i'll think about it some more. the wheelenhancement.com site is pretty cool, thanks for the link. if i don't go with the 19" rufs, i'll probably get the 18" 5 spoke lt alloys. my s came with the 17" twists which i don't like.

AND it turns out wheelenhancement.com is located a few minutes from where i live! thx again
Old 10-30-2003, 06:31 PM   #6
Regional Moderator

Cool. Those 5 spokes are my (current) favorite wheel. Just picked up some of those 16" "Honda CRV Look" wheels to mount snow tires, though.

Ah, California. I'll take it, fires and earthquakes don't bother me a bit!

CharlesGordon is offline   Reply With Quote