986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   Missing Mesh (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/55333-missing-mesh.html)

HereIam 01-07-2015 11:35 AM

Missing Mesh

My new (to me) Boxster is missing the roll bar meshes.
1. does anyone know what they're actually called, so I can search for replacements easier?
2. Has anyone come up with some interesting ways to fill this spot with something else, or otherwise found a way to create some visual interest here? Painted mesh, perhaps? Other?

Fintro11 01-07-2015 11:40 AM

Hmm this sounds like another good project for nine8six

I know they are hard to find and $$$

kjc2050 01-07-2015 12:57 PM

Check the Pelican site; they're not inexpensive!

2000 Porsche Boxster S Convertible - Convertible Parts - Page 1

Chuck W. 01-07-2015 01:07 PM

Here is a used on on eBay. They are out there, just keep an eye open for them. This is one of my favorite eBay sellers for Porsche parts.

03 Boxster rwd Porsche 986 L Black Rear Roll Bar Trim Insert Plastic 73 189 | eBay

HereIam 01-07-2015 03:36 PM

okay, so they are hard to find...it's not just me. And yes, how offensively expensive for a couple pieces of flimsy plastic.

Can anyone snap some pictures of how the original headrest meshes install? My car has none of the parts left. I'd like to see how the original pieces fit on the rollbars so I can see about making something.

Kindofa pain, but maybe an opportunity to do something cool. I've got some heat-shrink Lexan I can vacuum form to a shape. Or maybe there's a cool mesh I can find as a starting point.

BIGJake111 01-07-2015 04:04 PM

I have mine tapped in, in excess of the clips, just to be sure haha. The price is definitely not cool! Hope you find some

Chuck W. 01-07-2015 04:30 PM

During warm weather I remove mine and the clear wind block. On cooler days I have them in. My top is rarely up.

Pdwight 01-07-2015 05:01 PM

When you get some

Zip Tie :cheers:

Mark_T 01-07-2015 05:19 PM

If these could be duplicated with vacuum-formed tinted lexan with no holes then I would be lining up, cash in hand. The originals don't do much in the way of windblocking.

Chuck W. 01-07-2015 05:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark_T (Post 431041)
If these could be duplicated with vacuum-formed tinted lexan with no holes then I would be lining up, cash in hand. The originals don't do much in the way of windblocking.

Mark, perhaps this is what you could use.

986 Porsche Boxster Windscreen Windblocker Wind Deflector | eBay

http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/MzYwWDQxMQ...UFsrs/$_12.JPG

amitmishra4 01-07-2015 07:14 PM

FYI the one pictured requires the plastic roll bar wind blocker piece as well. It installs on that.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chuck W. (Post 431046)

Mark_T 01-07-2015 07:20 PM

I looked at those, even made a pair myself, but they look kinda bush league with those screws through the mesh.

Also looked at the one that replaces all three pieces with one piece of full-width plexi and attaches with wire ties. Even more bush league.

But a vacuum-molded replica of the original in tinted lexan, or even a solid color - that would look sharp.

HereIam 01-07-2015 09:45 PM

What causes the screens to come off or break? Since my car came without, I have no way of even analyzing the problem. Are they held on by special clips? I don't see any screw holes anywhere. Do they crack? Are they blown off the car? What's failing with these things? Apparently the previous owner replaced them once already, which doesn't inspire confidence in another purchase.

kjc2050 01-08-2015 03:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HereIam (Post 431062)
Are they held on by special clips? I don't see any screw holes anywhere. Do they crack? Are they blown off the car? What's failing with these things? Apparently the previous owner replaced them once already, which doesn't inspire confidence in another purchase.

The inserts are molded plastic and include small tabs which clip onto the roll bar hoops. Over time, the tabs become brittle. Also, air pressure can dislodge the inserts. As Dwight mentioned, I put one small black zip tie on each, and haven't had an issue since.

amitmishra4 01-08-2015 03:29 AM

Can you share a picture of where you guys are zip tying it so it's not visible? I'm always nervous about it flying out but I don't want to zip tie it if it's conspicuous.

Quote:

Originally Posted by kjc2050 (Post 431063)
The inserts are molded plastic and include small tabs which clip onto the roll bar hoops. Over time, the tabs become brittle. Also, air pressure can dislodge the inserts. As Dwight mentioned, I put one small black zip tie on each, and haven't had an issue since.

kjc2050 01-08-2015 04:36 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Here you go. It's not pretty, but it works. Most people would never notice.

OklahomaBoxster 01-08-2015 06:35 AM

I bought a pair with broken tabs from a Porsche dismantler for $20. Couple of screws on the inside that you can't see. Best thing I ever bought. I also have the plexiglass screen. Bought that for $75 the same day. Bit expensive but I live literally 5 minutes from the place. Can't pass up the convenience of having all the 986 parts I could ever want near my house.

OklahomaBoxster 01-08-2015 06:51 AM

Found a pic that shows my mesh. Oh I miss the warm sunny weather when this was taken... Currently -5 wind chill in OKC http://986forum.com/forums/uploads01...1420732265.jpg

jb92563 01-08-2015 07:32 AM

It just occured to me that I could probably Print one on my 3D printer in ABS plastic with some customized design of Text or logo etc.

What are they charging for these things on eBay, perhaps I could provide an alternative.

I'll have to measure mine to see if it will fit on the Print bed.

tommy583 01-08-2015 07:42 AM

I personally think my car looks better without the mesh and clear wind blockers installed. I also don't think they do very much in the way of wind blocking. So mine are sitting on a shelf in the basement. If I ever need money to send my kids to college i'll put them up for sale lol.