986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   ABS and PSM lights come on (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/55282-abs-psm-lights-come.html)

johnappleby 01-03-2015 09:20 AM

ABS and PSM lights come on

Hiya,

So around 6 months ago, the ABS and PSM lights started to come on a short while after driving the car. It didn't bother me, but then one day my SO had to brake hard, the ABS didn't work and she went under the SUV in front of her. It sounds worse than it was, just a few scratches on the hood.

So I read a bunch of posts on this forum, and heard it might be the brake light switch. $20 later and the problem went away. Damn, that's the cheapest fix I ever had on this car!

Anyhow, now the ABS and PSM lights still come on (together, at the same time), but much more occasionally. Initially, they only came on at highway speeds of 65-70mph after extended driving. Now the weather is colder, they come on at suburban speeds of 40-45mph. If I drive around town at 25-35mph the lights won't come on at all. Once those lights come on, ABS and PSM are inactive and they will stay on until the car is turned off.

I read reference to the MAF sensor in a few places but I replaced that sensor last year. Are there other things this might be?

Thanks!

John

JFP in PA 01-03-2015 10:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by johnappleby (Post 430489)
Hiya,

So around 6 months ago, the ABS and PSM lights started to come on a short while after driving the car. It didn't bother me, but then one day my SO had to brake hard, the ABS didn't work and she went under the SUV in front of her. It sounds worse than it was, just a few scratches on the hood.

So I read a bunch of posts on this forum, and heard it might be the brake light switch. $20 later and the problem went away. Damn, that's the cheapest fix I ever had on this car!

Anyhow, now the ABS and PSM lights still come on (together, at the same time), but much more occasionally. Initially, they only came on at highway speeds of 65-70mph after extended driving. Now the weather is colder, they come on at suburban speeds of 40-45mph. If I drive around town at 25-35mph the lights won't come on at all. Once those lights come on, ABS and PSM are inactive and they will stay on until the car is turned off.

I read reference to the MAF sensor in a few places but I replaced that sensor last year. Are there other things this might be?

Thanks!

John

Yes, low voltage. Check your battery (load test it) and check your alternator for output voltage, if possible while driving at the speeds where the MIL's come on.

johnappleby 01-03-2015 11:45 AM

Thanks, a flakey alternator would be a fit for the age of the car - 14 years and 60k miles.

Plus I would get brownie points from Mrs A for replacing it before she ends up on a dark road with no lights.

Will report back!