986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   Any DIY'rs in CT do lock/IS mechanism install? (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/55280-any-diyrs-ct-do-lock-mechanism-install.html)

fishski 01-03-2015 07:53 AM

Any DIY'rs in CT do lock/IS mechanism install?

Looking to see if anyone in CT has done a lock/ignition switch upgrade on there own so I can bounce some questions or give assistance to me if I get stuck. I have all the instructions printed out from various sites, parts in hand...just looking for a local life line if I get over my head.

TIA.

Auf los! 01-04-2015 02:06 PM

I replaced my ignition switch (not the whole lock assembly) this past summer. I was having radio and power window issues, and it was getting harder and harder to get the key in and out of the lock. Replacing the switch module on the back of the lock worked like a charm in eliminating the problems, although getting at the little set-screws WAS among the most difficult things I've ever attempted on the car. You are welcome to PM me.

John

fishski 01-04-2015 02:11 PM

Thanks John I appreciate the response. I've already replaced that switch and it still has some locking issues. Funny thing is I got stuck in Wilton last summer when my switch died at the Sunoco gas station on route 7! In my research it seems to be that eventually you have to replace to entire mechanism so I bought it and am getting ready to do the job. Is there any group of Boxster owners that meet in CT that you know of?

Auf los! 01-04-2015 03:20 PM

The Connecticut Valley Region of PCA meets in CT every month, but much to my great regret, they do not have what we used to call "Tech Sessions" in the Nutmeg Miata Club. These TS's were terrific, we used to have a few a year, and you'd have enthusiastic members swarming all over the cars changing shocks, oil, brakes, timing belts, you name it. Whatever your problem was, you could find help.

I dunno, Porsche owners, at least those in CT, just don't seem interested in doing their own work on their cars. I guess most of them can afford to pay dealers to do the work. That's not me!

If someone knows of a core group of owners in CT who are not afraid to get their hands dirty, I wish they would tell me.

Or maybe we should start one...

fishski 01-04-2015 04:01 PM

Interesting.

I joined the PCA Ct chapter when I first bought my car in 01. Never really got that involved. I recently joined again but there is little to no communication from them. I signed up for a newsletter but never get any "news". I also emailed a couple people on their contact list asking if there are any Boxster groups in CT. Never received a response. Same ole same ole.

Is it possible they stopped these sessions due to liability? Is it possible that the club sponsors who just happen to own indie repair shops put a stop to it? I don't know, just guessing. I love wrenching on my own cars and I can afford to bring to the dealer.

That being said, I'm all for trying to get a group together. Any ideas how to start one or see if there is any interest?

Auf los! 01-04-2015 04:28 PM

Sure. This very thread is being read by Boxster owners in CT. So let's gauge interest in a group by asking right now...if you are a Boxster owner in CT, RI, the Hudson Valley, or southern MA, and are interested in getting together for Tech Sessions to do oil changes, installs, and solving problems, chime in here.

If this thread doesn't get some responses in a week or so, we could try a separate thread here on starting a group.

There is also a Boxster-specific PCA sub-group I belong to, and I can post there.

You have a good point about the indie shops sponsoring CVR. It is worse than that, because the DEALERS are also sponsors of CVR, so I do not think CVR is going to be interested in being the home of our sub-group.

I have a pal in Wallingford that will want to join, so you, me, and him makes three! Who else?

fishski 01-04-2015 04:39 PM

Sounds like a plan. I'm a huge leader/get'r done kind of person so lets do this.

Auf los! 01-05-2015 02:48 AM

Glad to hear it, because as it happens I have a family member in the hospital and don't have a lot of time to devote to this at the moment. I did post on the PCA Boxster Register last night, can you hit the other forums?

John, aka "J.P."

mikesz 01-05-2015 06:30 AM

Hi All! I live in Cranston RI. CT might be a hike for me but would be interested. Keep me posted. I do most of my own work on my 99 Boxster. Willing to share info and perhaps learn from others.

fishski 01-05-2015 09:51 AM

Mike:

Consider yourself on the list. I have to post this to other Forums as well and I will. The goal is to be able to get a bunch of people together and work on some projects maybe a couple times a year. If you know of any other Boxster owners in CT/MA/RI that might be interested let them know about what we are trying to do.

Thanks.