986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   Squeaking front suspension (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/55273-squeaking-front-suspension.html)

Justin mills 01-02-2015 06:43 AM

Squeaking front suspension

Hi all
I've just brought my first Boxster 986 and have just joined the forum 2 minutes ago (newby)

My car has a squeaking front suspension mainly on the off side but also on the near side. It happens under all driving conditions, but when parked I can push down on the wing and it makes the noise.

Does anyone have any ideas what it might be, before I start spending money on the car? Top mounts?? Anti roll bar bushes??

Does anyone have a black head rest wind deflector in black for sale ( near side)

Regards

Justin

woodsman 01-02-2015 11:11 AM

Use the search function as this has been addressed many times. Hint: first step is to squirt some type of lubricant into the balljoints/ tie rod ends. I've done it to my car and it worked perfectly. The ball which I've read here is plastic, dries out. If this doesn't work than it would probably be a bushing. Lube may work there as well or replacement. Goodluck and welcome to the 986 forum!:cheers:

Justin mills 01-02-2015 12:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by woodsman (Post 430432)
Use the search function as this has been addressed many times. Hint: first step is to squirt some type of lubricant into the balljoints/ tie rod ends. I've done it to my car and it worked perfectly. The ball which I've read here is plastic, dries out. If this doesn't work than it would probably be a bushing. Lube may work there as well or replacement. Goodluck and welcome to the 986 forum!:cheers:

Thanks for the tip. I will give it ago and see how I get on
Millsy

More 01-04-2015 10:42 PM

Mine does the same.

PKE 01-25-2015 12:55 PM

I thought mine was the lower control arms but turned out to be the top mounts.

JayG 01-25-2015 01:06 PM

dont use WD-40, it's really not a lubricant, it is made to disperse water. Use a silicon or Teflon spray

kk2002s 01-25-2015 04:59 PM

Mine is Front Lower control arm ball joint
I spray WD-40 yes WD-40 into the boot and everything is quite for 1000s of miles
My boots are cracked so there is probably dirt and all in there so I will be replacing Lower control arms (If TRW ever decides to make any more) and tie rods before spring

Check your ball joint boots. You to may see that they are deteriorated and so contaminated with road grim contributing to the noise

Retroman1969 01-25-2015 05:55 PM

My right rear squeaks occasionally, and the shop pointed out the torn boot on the lower ball joint on that corner.

JayG 01-25-2015 07:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kk2002s (Post 433293)
Mine is Front Lower control arm ball joint
I spray WD-40 yes WD-40 into the boot and everything is quite for 1000s of miles
My boots are cracked so there is probably dirt and all in there so I will be replacing Lower control arms (If TRW ever decides to make any more) and tie rods before spring

Check your ball joint boots. You to may see that they are deteriorated and so contaminated with road grim contributing to the noise

WD-40 does have some lubricating qualities, but it will remove other lubricants such as grease

Use a real lubrication spray