986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   It Sneaks right up on you (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/55237-sneaks-right-up-you.html)

jhiggi83 12-29-2014 02:08 PM

It Sneaks right up on you

In the 2 weeks ive owned my Boxster I have dropped $1,800 on "projects". I didn't even realize it until I added all the little things up. Funny thing is I don't even feel bad as I am enjoying myself. But I am pretty sure if I told my wife the "true" amount I spent she would have a stroke.

rick3000 12-29-2014 03:22 PM

Haha, join the club. :cheers:

I don't view the Boxster as an expense, because I enjoy driving and working on it so much. It's kind of like an adult Lego.

What did you spend the $1800 on?

jhiggi83 12-29-2014 03:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rick3000 (Post 429944)
Haha, join the club. :cheers:

I don't view the Boxster as an expense, because I enjoy driving and working on it so much. It's kind of like an adult Lego.

What did you spend the $1800 on?

New Brakes/rotor, Catback exhaust and Headers, New front Bumper Cover/Paint, Tow Hook License plate bracket, Lloyd Mats, Leather steering wheel cover, Coverking Moda Leatherex seat covers, 3M Carbon Fiber Vinyl for the interior panels, and whatever tools I needed. Im like a boy in the toy isle

Run 12-29-2014 04:30 PM

My last 2 months have added up to over 4 grand and counting. I like to tinker with it during the winters. Currently the seats are out along with center console both getting some TLC. Next is a new top in a few weeks along with Porsche side stripes.
A man has to have his projects :dance:

Retroman1969 12-29-2014 05:06 PM

It didn't sneak up on me. It dropped on me like a brick. 3 grand in one shot!
I keep my fingers crossed that it won't need anything else for awhile.
That said, it's one thing I don't mind (much) cutting a check for when it needs it. It's not like dropping a load on a cookie-cutter transportation device. It's a fun car that feels almost like a part of me. ;)

KevinH1990 12-29-2014 07:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jhiggi83 (Post 429933)
In the 2 weeks ive owned my Boxster I have dropped $1,800 on "projects". I didn't even realize it until I added all the little things up. Funny thing is I don't even feel bad as I am enjoying myself. But I am pretty sure if I told my wife the "true" amount I spent she would have a stroke.

It is a mistake to add up the cost. However, not telling your wife the full cost is a smart move.

While you may not feel like you are being honest, ask yourself "How many times has my wife come home and told me how much she saved at a "sale"? You know that she spent a lot more money than she saved, but you don't ask too many questions. That is one of the little social conventions that add stability to a marriage and you need to adopt a similar tactic regarding your car. Start telling her how much you "saved" by not making a new car payment.

I understand what you mean though. I have owned my car almost eight years and I've done one or two "upgrades" every year. The cost does add up, but it keeps the car fresh and interesting and the total spent is less than a new car.

SKOOSH1970 12-30-2014 02:12 AM

Wow, had my Boxster for 10 months now and all I've had to buy is a set of tyres......I always find that talking to a car keeps here sweet...... or am i just bonkers....??/:p

RedTele58 12-30-2014 02:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SKOOSH1970 (Post 430009)
...... or am i just bonkers....??/:p

You're just bonkers! ;)

Now go spend a bunch of money on your car so you don't make the rest of us look bad! :D

mountainman 12-30-2014 03:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SKOOSH1970 (Post 430009)
Wow, had my Boxster for 10 months now and all I've had to buy is a set of tyres......I always find that talking to a car keeps here sweet...... or am i just bonkers....??/:p

In ten months I go thru 2 sets of fronts and 4 sets of rears. and 8 oil changes. and my wife doesn't need to know all that.

JayG 12-30-2014 06:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mountainman (Post 430020)
In ten months I go thru 2 sets of fronts and 4 sets of rears. and 8 oil changes. and my wife doesn't need to know all that.

That's a lot of tires and oil!

How much driving do you do? Tracking the car?

bwillia080261 12-30-2014 06:34 AM

I wish that is all I had spent so far! I picked up a 2001 S model with 67K miles on it back in September and let's see:

IMS bearing
Camshaft Seal
Clutch
Exhaust with rear Cats.
Four tires
Gauge cluster
Brakes and Rotors all around
Oil change
Transmission fluid change
Air Filter
Cabin Filter
MAF clean
Blower motor

Total around $7K

The good news...I love this thing! And I bought it right at $10.8K

jhiggi83 12-30-2014 08:45 AM

The brakes are the only things I really had to do. Everything else is a result of having too much free time

Dallas_986 12-30-2014 09:18 AM

Do you have any pictures of the seat covers? What are your thoughts on them so far?

jhiggi83 12-30-2014 10:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dallas_986 (Post 430069)
Do you have any pictures of the seat covers? What are your thoughts on them so far?

I Ordered them on the 10th but I am still waiting for them to be made and shipped. I'll update when they come in