986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   Gas Prices (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/55168-gas-prices.html)

Porsche9 12-21-2014 03:07 PM

Gas Prices

Can't believe that I just filled up at Costco for $2.21 for super. About $30 for a fill up. Crazy.

What are you paying to fill up?

jpc763 12-21-2014 03:11 PM

$2.36 at Costco here in Northern Colorado.

Timco 12-21-2014 03:28 PM

We don't bother with the Costco thing, and reg is 2.50 or so. It was a full $30 less to fill my wife's Touareg.

Gas is what it is. I'm glad when it's cheaper but it doesn't influence my driving or spending habits. I just pay what they charge. I refuse to search out $.02/gallon difference in gas savings.

eicheldp 12-21-2014 03:47 PM

In my section of eastern PA, we are at $2.63 for 87 octane & $2.93 for 93 Octane. I've heard speculation of regular reaching $1.79 by summer.

It would be nice.

particlewave 12-21-2014 04:44 PM

$1.99 for 87 here ;)

BIGJake111 12-21-2014 04:54 PM

$2.06 for 87 here in s.c. Paid $2.70 for 93 today though. Seems like a bigger markup than usual.

SoCalBlackbox 12-21-2014 06:09 PM

$2.80 for 91 in So. Cal. but I think the price is going up quite a bit come Jan. 1st. I've heard up to 80 cents a gallon more to knock out this global warming thing. I guess if nobody drives in California that will end it for the rest of the world. Thank us Californians later this winter when you're shoveling off your driveway so you can go to work.

jdraupp 12-21-2014 06:15 PM

1.94 for regular.

Porsche9 12-21-2014 06:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SoCalBlackbox (Post 429092)
$2.80 for 91 in So. Cal. but I think the price is going up quite a bit come Jan. 1st. I've heard up to 80 cents a gallon more to knock out this global warming thing. I guess if nobody drives in California that will end it for the rest of the world. Thank us Californians later this winter when you're shoveling off your driveway so you can go to work.

Huh? Born and raised in SoCal. I have no idea what you are talking about.

Kenny Boxster 12-21-2014 07:06 PM

$1.90ish in DFW. One city (Keller) has it $1.65 for reg, $1.99 for 93 premium. Wonder how long it will last.

JayG 12-22-2014 06:14 AM

About 2.50 for 91.

mavis.d 12-22-2014 06:52 AM

Lucky bu**ers

Shell 93 £1.10 litre = $6.46 US gal, $103.36 for 16 gals
Shell Nitro 99 £1.17 litre = $6.89 gal, $110.24 for 16 gals
That's about £70 in real money for 300 miles ;)

RandallNeighbour 12-22-2014 06:56 AM

Mavis: That's mostly your government's taxation scheme, right?

Everyone in the USA.... I live in Houston, TX and have neighbors and clients who work for oil and gas companies. This cheap barrel pricing due to OPEC is gonna hurt our economy here quite soon and layoffs are already occurring and a lot more to follow on January 2 after the holidays.

I don't mind paying $30 more for a tank of fuel to be honest with you all.

Porsche9 12-22-2014 07:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RandallNeighbour (Post 429142)

Everyone in the USA.... I live in Houston, TX and have neighbors and clients who work for oil and gas companies. This cheap barrel pricing due to OPEC is gonna hurt our economy here quite soon and layoffs are already occurring and a lot more to follow on January 2 after the holidays.

It will definitely hurt our big oil producing states. In many ways the oil production boom in our country is what has forced the prices down so much. Overall the net for the US and most of the world is that lower oil prices is good for the economy and bad for countries that do not have our best interests.

Perfectlap 12-22-2014 07:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RandallNeighbour (Post 429142)

It's definitely going to hurt your local economy but it's going to literally help everyone else's. Starting with the holiday shopping season which would have otherwise been a wash out.
I'm not sure how this affects home heating but if it's less money out of winter weather states' pockets that will have a knock-on effect come spring as far as consumer confidence. But in the end this is all just temporary because bearish speculators will get bullish again sooner or later and we'll be right back at $100 barrels. Contrary to what most people think the price of oil stems from the expectation of demand not the actual supply. Demand was falling short of global supply when we were above $100 barrel and was pinned there until recently. Who can ever know what's in the speculator's mind about the future at any one time. So it's great for most that we have lower gas prices but when more people have more spending money to burn they either pay bills, save or get in their cars to spend. You know which of the three we're most famous for. Which means demand will steadily inch higher again. Also China's got some big economic issues and they have little history of managing capitalism. May not end well.

Here in NJ we have some of the cheapest gas in the country and I've noticed that the gap between regular and premium has settled into very wide gulf. They must figure that if you have a car requiring premium then you can handle the $6-9 difference to fill up. I remember when I first bought the Boxster over a decade ago and the gap was maybe 20 cents apart.

tomonomics 12-22-2014 07:29 AM

There are a few Costco's in NJ that have $1.99 gas. Averages are closer to $2.25 But we have one of the lowest state taxes (11 cents per gallon), so we're always a little lower. And we don't even have to get out of the car to pump it!

The Federal gas tax hasn't been touched in 20 years (18 cents). So in NJ, we're at a 15% tax rate for gasoline. (keep in mind when was was $4, we were at a 7% tax rate)

In Britain it's approx 61% tax per litre at the current prices. So that's $2.14 per gallon, with an additional 20% VAT on top of that.

This will not be popular, but I think we're overdue for a review of our current gas tax rates. I'd rather see some additional money go towards alternative technologies and mass transit. Some states have addressed this recently, but with elections coming up I doubt we'll see anything in the next two years.

But hey, it's cheap now so lets get those Hummers back in the showrooms!!!

Porsche9 12-22-2014 08:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tomonomics (Post 429146)
There are a few Costco's in NJ that have $1.99 gas. Averages are closer to $2.25 But we have one of the lowest state taxes (11 cents per gallon), so we're always a little lower. And we don't even have to get out of the car to pump it!

The Federal gas tax hasn't been touched in 20 years (18 cents). So in NJ, we're at a 15% tax rate for gasoline. (keep in mind when was was $4, we were at a 7% tax rate)

In Britain it's approx 61% tax per litre at the current prices. So that's $2.14 per gallon, with an additional 20% VAT on top of that.

This will not be popular, but I think we're overdue for a review of our current gas tax rates. I'd rather see some additional money go towards alternative technologies and mass transit. Some states have addressed this recently, but with elections coming up I doubt we'll see anything in the next two years.

I would definitely agree with you that it's time to reevaluate the gas tax. Our transportation infrastructure is crumbling (bridge collapse in your part of the country recently?) and we need to invest in maintaining what we have and any newgrowth, be it more roads, highway, public transportation etc. needs to be carefully considered.

BIGJake111 12-22-2014 08:46 AM

Any thoughts from others on the gap from regular to premium? It seems wider now that regular is so cheap.

Nine8Six 12-22-2014 08:52 AM

Wouldn't complain, dearest American friends (you lucky buggers....)

Here, lost track of the exact /gal price but it cost between $70~75 to fill up the 986. I get the feeling that its double than in the USA :/

Giller 12-22-2014 10:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tomonomics (Post 429146)

Here in Canada, I would say that approximately 35% of the price is tax. Much of the tax for this goes towards our infrastructure and bridges. I just saw a scary report on 60 minutes around the United States and their crumbling bridges. Yes, maybe it's time the US reflect on the tax on gas and fix those bridges!