986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   Car value (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/54881-car-value.html)

JWD 11-21-2014 09:25 PM

Car value

I have a '97 Boxster. 17 inch wheels, 5 speed manual. Has the full leather, kind of Orange color seats with matching dash. Also have the hard top that came with car.
28,200 miles. Always garaged. New tires and service, not from Porsche.
Any idea of value? Car in excellent condition.
Thanx,
JWD

Fintro11 11-21-2014 10:13 PM

it all depends where you are located ...
i paid 24k for my 03 S with 18" rims 35 000 km

gives you a bit of a comparison

husker boxster 11-22-2014 04:26 AM

I'm a combo Mike Brewer / Edd China wannabe and I've found the sweetspot for pricing a car competively is 1/2 way between Retail & Clean Trade In on NADA. You as a private seller can't get retail like a dealer, so you have to charge less. I've found the above formula is about where the public will bite on a private sale. Caution: current prices listed will still have good weather factored in, since their data is from dealer car sales and it's not real time - there is a lag factor. So any pricing guide is a shade behind the current mkt. I imagine the weather factor is less in AZ, but you'll need to factor it in if you intend to sell nationally.

I also like to look at AutoTrader and sometimes Cars.com (they have lots of fake ads) too to get a feel for pricing.

And then this link will give you a good idea and is a good way to spend an hr or 2.

Rideslist.com - car classifieds (sfbay)

ugatha 11-22-2014 04:48 AM

One Guide

When I buy / sell a vehicle, I look at Ebay "sold listings" and get an idea of actual sales prices. That along with book prices and location help me determine the true "market value" in my process. I also look at enthusiast forums to see who sold what for how much.

Good luck with the sale.

BIGJake111 11-22-2014 08:43 AM

Some boxes go really low some go really high, it'll be hard to sell a 97 for a lot, but your car has the right options and mileage to match the middle ground 2000 models or so, you would get reasonable attention with the car listed around 13 give or take 2 thousand, priced to sell would be 11 grand with room to move though.

thstone 11-22-2014 09:44 AM

KBB says $8-$10K.

But with that low of mileage and assuming that the car is in near perfect condition, you might get $11-$12k. But realize that the only thing separating your car from oodles of other 97-99 base models that are selling for well under $10K is the low mileage.

The problem is that your car is price bound on the upper end having to compete with 2000 S models with around 60K miles (also priced at ~$12K). Besides the power increase, the S models also had quite a few upgrades and most potential buyers won't be put off by only 60K miles (still not a "high mileage" car).

So, I'd price it at $12,500 and talk up the low miles, the great condition, and the low miles again. Find the right buyer and you might get close to asking, but I'd be ready to take anything over $11K.

78F350 11-22-2014 09:50 AM

Location really seems to make a big difference in price too. There are areas of the country where pricing will be thousands less than in others.

Generally these cars are not a quick sale. Where I am at, trucks and 4-doors sell fast. Nice roadsters can take months. Smaller pool of buyers even at a good price.

Once you decide on a price, list it here in the classified section as well as locally. That gives you national (International) exposure for free and lots of us are happy to take a trip to get the right car.

mikefocke 11-22-2014 11:27 AM

I'd say no more than $10k even with the hardtop normally, but maybe $1k more for the new tires and service.

It is a 17 year old car, not a collectable car.

You do have the AZ factor going for you as you are less affected by the cold weather depressing prices there. It depresses the value of the hardtop though. You might do better selling that separately to someone in an area that just experienced the cold weather.

Porsche9 11-22-2014 12:42 PM

To get top dollar sell the hardtop separately. You'll get at least $1k for it and the same money for the car. There are plenty of guys out here in the southwest that will want the hardtop and pay good money for it. If it was a year from now I'd buy the car for my daughter as she really wants Boxster and this sounds perfect. She got to finish school first.

amitmishra4 11-22-2014 02:20 PM

I agree with Porsche9 above. You would be better off selling the hard top separately for about $1k and then I think the car will probably fetch you $9k if you are lucky and find a motivated buyer.

Of course a lot of it depends on time of year and location and the whole Supply vs. Demand situation at the time of the sale.

Looks like a nice car though. Good luck!!

Perfectlap 11-22-2014 03:39 PM

Pics or did not happen