Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-20-2014, 01:47 PM   #1
Drives with Scissors

"click" a cold weather noise?

OK; had the boxster in the garage the last 2 weeks with out driving because of cold and other stuff took up time. I pulled it out today and "suddenly it arose with a leap" there was a clicking sound from the engine like a lifter seeking relief. I ran in circles with panic it my eyes and wondered what could be this time? I took it for a spin and within 5 miles it was as quiet as a mouse.....upon returning home i parked in the driveway and jumped out. Not a "click "or a "cli" could be heard as I stood beside the magnificent beast. So please tell me is this the norm for a cold boxster or should I take it to my mechanic with haste? This sound has not been present until now.

Old 11-20-2014, 01:54 PM   #2
I am my own mechanic....

I don't think a tap on startup after it's been sitting cold is anything to worry too much about. I've read about all kinds of startup noises here and elsewhere.
Timco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2014, 07:44 PM   #3

Probably the hydraulic lifters pressuring up after the 2 week sitting in the garage - quite normal, though I find with fresh oil it doesn't happen quite so often.....
Old 11-21-2014, 05:32 AM   #4
Drives with Scissors

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Tinker View Post
Probably the hydraulic lifters pressuring up after the 2 week sitting in the garage - quite normal, though I find with fresh oil it doesn't happen quite so often.....
Oil was changed just last month what about some sort of oil additive - like Rislone Engine Oil Treatment to help quiet it. I know some purest will roll over in their bed...but hey i put a Kenwood stereo in already.
Old 11-22-2014, 04:53 AM   #5

Have owned my 04 Boxster S 550 SE 1528 of 1953 since new and have experienced all sorts of "noises" on start up just like the Starship Enterprise. Clicking after start has happened on occasion but disappears if you drive every other day. If "clicking" disappears after some minutes would not worry. My old 77 280 Z fuel injection system always "clicked" as well as the fuel pump in my 87 Jag 12 cyl, go figure.
Thadius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2014, 06:06 AM   #6
On the slippery slope

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMass View Post
Oil was changed just last month what about some sort of oil additive - like Rislone Engine Oil Treatment to help quiet it. I know some purest will roll over in their bed...but hey i put a Kenwood stereo in already.
the only think that should go in the oil filler is oil.

It like maintaining a pool, the less crap you put in the water the better

2014 Porsche Performance Driving School
2020 BMW X3, 2013 Ram 1500, 2016 Cmax, 2004 F-150 "Big Red"
JayG is offline   Reply With Quote