Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-20-2014, 11:43 AM   #1

Send a message via AIM to ultimate1 Send a message via Yahoo to ultimate1
New Meyle Control Arms This Weekend

Last week I learned that my front control arms were starting to make obscene sounds and need to be replaced. Did some research and decided to go with the Meyle arms that are a lot less expensive than the Porsche OEM and TRW arms. Plus I learned that if you get them from FCPGroton then you get a lifetime warranty on the part if it is installed at a professional shop. So thought that this post would give you all another option should you have to replace your arms.

So hopefully we get them put on this Saturday

ultimate1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2014, 12:40 PM   #2

I was looking at those too. Please let us know how they look, feel, and perform once you have them on!
hancock1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2014, 12:47 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by hancock1701 View Post
I was looking at those too. Please let us know how they look, feel, and perform once you have them on!
They look just like the ones I had on my car and my mechanic suggested that they should be fine based on his research as well. Will report back after I put them on.
Old 11-21-2014, 03:45 AM   #4

Garage
There seems to be something going on with TRW with respect to availability.
Pelican has been out for awhile and many other sites are out of stock
I'm ready to order but.... unless I want to pay scalpers prices
Old 12-13-2014, 08:33 AM   #5

Alright I finally got around to getting the Meyle Control Arms put on and I got an alignment done right afterwards. I have been lucky over the years to come into contact with excellent and honest independent shops. So I do have to plug them whenever I can. When I lived in South Florida I was lucky to have Pedro @ Pedro's Garage and Miguel and Taylor at TuneRS looking after my car. Now that I moved a few hundred miles north to Central Florida (Orlando & Tampa) I am also lucky to have Harry at WestSide Auto Barn working on my car.

I pushed the box around the street and highway like I usually do and the Meyle's held up well. Feel free to check in with me for updates. I have used Meyle parts on the BMW I had and already had a few of their parts on my car so I feel comfortable with them. They are a lot less expensive than Porsche control arms and also less expensive than the TRW ones that seemed to be out of stock everywhere recently and that prompted me to check out the Meyle arms. The U.S. rep at Meyle was also excellent as he answered all of my questions. Meyle is a well established German company and the arms are made in China but Meyle does perform quality control inspections and provides a 2 year warranty. So the warranty is the same as TRW and Porsche and cost a lot less.

Here is a pic of the arm before installation

Here is a pic of Harry finishing up the installation

Last edited by ultimate1; 12-13-2014 at 11:17 AM.
Old 06-13-2015, 03:23 PM   #6

Garage
I am looking at changing my control arms as well.
How are the Meyle ones doing after 6 months? Still holding well?
Thanks!

EJ-Fresno is offline   Reply With Quote