Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-17-2014, 06:14 AM   #21

The OP really have me confused.
The OP and Dealer agreed on a price but yet the OP did not go to the dealer and make a deposit. You don't need to wait for them to ask you for a deposit. If you want the car why don't you go over and give them the deposit and finalize the deal? It seems to me that you maybe holding out as well hoping for the price of the car to be lowered since the price have been going down as the days go by.

I'm from the west coast and bought a new car from this same dealer. I've had nothing but great experience with them and all communications was over the phone. During the viewing process they sent me pictures, detailed videos of the car inside and out. When we agreed on a price They sent me documents of the sale and I sent them a cashiers check. They even helped arrange shipment of the car directly to the front of my house.

cas951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 07:15 AM   #22

The old "nah...don't worry about the deposit" move. Works every time.

Most brokers in my experience become very pound foolish over a few hundred bucks.
You build businesses on clientele not the last 0.5% of a deal. This dealer should know by now (if they bothered to "feel you out" like all good sales departments) that you have a history of regularly switching cars... which is exactly the kind of customer they like to have on an email list. If the sales manager knows what he's doing he can identify the difference between a repeat customer from a guy just passing through. Very dumb, because now even if you do buy the car you might not go there again or recommend them.
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 09:23 AM   #23

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perfectlap View Post
The old "nah...don't worry about the deposit" move. Works every time.
You may be right, but I haven't read anything from the OP which states that this is the case.
Old 11-17-2014, 09:38 AM   #24

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjc2050 View Post
You may be right, but I haven't read anything from the OP which states that this is the case.
Now I'm confused. Reread the original post. From what I reread they suggested he put a deposit down and he hasn't. If this is the case then he's got no reason to complain, he's not serious enough. Agree with Timco they cant force you to come in and put a deposit down and dont think they should have to bully you into basically stealing what sounds like a very nice example of a 986s. Go put money down and sign the agreement before it gets away.
jdraupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 11:51 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjc2050 View Post
I think it's simple sales procedure. If you really want to lock down a sale you ask for the deposit or advise that unless there's a deposit we'll continue working the phones knowing they have x number of days before the flatbed comes to taker the car to auction. Sounds like these guys were playing both sides, lining up a stalking horse bid of sorts from the OP while leaving it up to him to show up with a cash deposit.
If that's the case I simply show up with the cash in hand. If they refuse me because there's another wishy washy bidder, I tell them my offer on my next visit will be x amount lower. I did this very thing once when the dealer tried to hit me with some dealer fees they didn't include in the negotiated price. They let me walk out and later accepted the offer (minus the dealer fee) over the phone to save face. LOL.
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW

Last edited by Perfectlap; 11-17-2014 at 11:54 AM.
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 12:32 PM   #26

Garage
Well we really don't know since the OP was a bit unclear and hasn't posted an update.
Old 11-17-2014, 02:16 PM   #27

Still here guys. Still waiting to hear back from the dealer regarding the "verbal" estimate they received from the auto body place. They were supposed to get me that info Friday evening and the last exchange was "we will reach out to you tomorrow."
Old 11-17-2014, 02:45 PM   #28
Track rat

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by husker boxster View Post
My impression is the car is local. So why deal with them over the phone? I'd get down there toot sweet and see if they take my down payment in person. While they're being a bit sketchy, the bottom line is there is no financial obligation in place for them to sell you the car. Put the phone down and pick up your keys.

This ^^^

If you want the car, go down and sign the papers, give your deposit, and buy the car. Everything else is just madness.
Old 11-17-2014, 02:49 PM   #29

Just got an email from the dealer. They weren't able to get in touch with the auto body guy today....they will call me tomorrow.

My gut is telling me they are dragging this out hoping someone comes in and offers more than our verbal agreement. I'm playing this too seeing if the price drops. Although it needs a little work at $14850 I really can't complain.
Old 11-17-2014, 03:04 PM   #30

Sometimes in my business we quote specific jobs/customers in a manner hoping we won't win the biz. In case we still get chosen, we'll implement a slow availability and delivery date to give them adequate time to re-think their choice [again and again]. Inevitably though if they still chose, we will move forward and complete 100%... but we made sure we're generously over compensated for the ensuing headaches.

Old 11-17-2014, 03:06 PM   #31

Garage
$14850 is a really good price for that car!
Old 11-17-2014, 04:02 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaNile31 View Post
Still here guys. Still waiting to hear back from the dealer regarding the "verbal" estimate they received from the auto body place. They were supposed to get me that info Friday evening and the last exchange was "we will reach out to you tomorrow."
What difference does this make? Didn't you make the offer "as is"? What does the cost of the repair have to do with anything? Are you trying to get them to reduce the price by the amt of the repair? I don't remember you stating that in your 1st post.
2008 Boxster S Limited Edition #005
2008 Cayman S Sport - Signal Green
1989 928 S4 5 spd - black
1987 928 S4 - Granite Green Metallic (Felsengrun)
husker boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 04:09 PM   #33

I just want confirmation of the estimate to make sure it's actually $800 and not $2000.

Finally had a chance to call tonight but it was right before they closed. I offered CC for deposit but he said no worries and he will call me tomorrow...

At this point I'll probably just go and pick it up Tuesday or Wednesday.
Old 11-18-2014, 07:20 AM   #34

Deposit has been given. Hope to get there today for the test drive. Nothing like testing out a Boxster when it's 28 outside.
Old 11-18-2014, 03:51 PM   #35

It was 28 degrees when I bought mine. Dropped the top, cranked the heat, and drove it to see my wife at work.
Swhitcomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 03:56 PM   #36

What the dealer has been up to since my accepted offer

Tomorrow before noon will be test drive. If all goes well should be bringing it home tomorrow night.

No way I'm lowering the top. The plastic window would shatter!!

Last edited by SeaNile31; 11-18-2014 at 03:58 PM.
SeaNile31 is offline   Reply With Quote