986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   IMS Monday (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/54723-ims-monday.html)

Allen K. Littlefield 11-08-2014 08:57 AM

IMS Monday

Well the Boxcar goes in Monday for IMS double row installation along with new full flow filter and adapter. Going to have the AOS replaced at the same time. Already have the magnetic oil plug and both it and filter have shown nothing in the past three years during annual oil change. Mechanic has taken the clinics on these procedures and will do a check out of the sump pan before proceeding. Going to run around 3k what with the TIP being a bit longer to take out than the standard. Wish me luck!!;)

AKL

JFP in PA 11-08-2014 09:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Allen K. Littlefield (Post 424421)
Well the Boxcar goes in Monday for IMS double row installation along with new full flow filter and adapter. Going to have the AOS replaced at the same time. Already have the magnetic oil plug and both it and filter have shown nothing in the past three years during annual oil change. Mechanic has taken the clinics on these procedures and will do a check out of the sump pan before proceeding. Going to run around 3k what with the TIP being a bit longer to take out than the standard. Wish me luck!!;)

AKL

If the shop knows what they are doing, luck will not enter into the process..............;)

Allen K. Littlefield 11-08-2014 11:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JFP in PA (Post 424425)
If the shop knows what they are doing, luck will not enter into the process..............;)

Not the issue. I was referring to if not junk would be found in the sump! Plastic being non ferrous, as you know, will not be stuck on the magnet. Shop has done many IMS jobs

AKL:cheers:

barkinfool 11-08-2014 02:01 PM

Also had the dual row ceramic installed. Swear the engine felt smoother, but since it was over winter (& not driven), can't say for sure. Will be interested in impressions when you get it back.

Allen K. Littlefield 11-12-2014 06:15 AM

My luck...

...that I was referring to in my first post. Seems my RMS is not leaking but just oozing a bit but not enough to drip. When dealership fixed this a few years ago they said I would not have to worry about it again. My local shop that is doing the work says that seal is probably not the latest one and recommends replacing it again. I said go ahead but now the bill is beginning to grow beyond budget to have IMS and AOS replaced. Also tranny had a few bolts that needed replacing, one with a time sert as it galled on the way out and one that had a washer on it. TIP was a bit more tricky to remove than standard so that will add a little more labor time to the mix. Just hope I don't get another phone call today. I will see Tom at our board meeting tonight and see what's cooking.

AKL:(

Allen K. Littlefield 11-14-2014 10:31 AM

IMS Friday

Well got it back today. No debris found in sump or oil pump pick up. No debris found in filter and nothing on magnetic plug. Wen ahead with the double row ceramic LN bearing, new RMS, new AOS and spin on filter. Oil is Castrol syntec 5x40 So far runs just fine and "seems?" a bit peppier. Will have to check cam deviation and compare to before IMS change although I don't know if one would affect the other. Took it in on Monday and have it tucked in the garage here on Friday. Old IMS bearing looks just fine and I suppose I should mail it in to LN for them to check out and set the 30 day warranty. Peace of mind now as I plan on keeping this car indefinitely. All in all pleased with the work. Anybuddy in the Mid Hudson area needs this done they should look up Advancedautomitvenw (New Windsor, NY) for an appointment. Glad I got the preventive work done prior to any trash showing up in the oil filter.:D

AKL

brjak 11-14-2014 10:36 AM

Curious the cost of the job? i'm considering the same preventive work.

Allen K. Littlefield 11-15-2014 05:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brjak (Post 425119)
Curious the cost of the job? i'm considering the same preventive work.

Just over 3k. We had been putting money aside for this work for a number of years now so we wouldn't be hit too hard. Beats the cost of a new engine by miles. You will feel differently about the car once you have it done. I am more relaxed with it an plan on longer trips. Good feeling now that the shadow of IMS failure has been erased.

JayG 11-15-2014 06:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Allen K. Littlefield (Post 425187)
Just over 3k. We had been putting money aside for this work for a number of years now so we wouldn't be hit too hard. Beats the cost of a new engine by miles. You will feel differently about the car once you have it done. I am more relaxed with it an plan on longer trips. Good feeling now that the shadow of IMS failure has been erased.

now you just have to worry about the other 25 modes of failure
:ah:

Allen K. Littlefield 11-15-2014 07:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JayG (Post 425196)
now you just have to worry about the other 25 modes of failure
:ah:

Nasty old J G. Suck the joy out of life eh? A pox on your Boxster, may all 25 modes occur at once while your stuck in traffic, may your tires develop mysterious leaks in mall parking lots, may the ethanol in your gas rot your metal lines and fuel pump. May....oh well you get the picture....:p
AKL

JayG 11-15-2014 10:28 AM

that was not very nice AKL

Allen K. Littlefield 11-15-2014 11:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JayG (Post 425217)
that was not very nice AKL

Your not going to go all sensitive on me now, are you?????;)

AKL

JayG 11-15-2014 01:05 PM

Naw
:cheers: