986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   Moving stuff across the boarder (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/54718-moving-stuff-across-boarder.html)

Giller 11-07-2014 06:12 PM

Moving stuff across the boarder

Hey Guys. Looking at getting a seat from a fellow member on here who is just across the U.S. boarder. Anyone done this, either into or out of Canada? Just wondering what I would encounter bringing a used seat into Canada, and possibly taking one down there to trade? Anyone have any experience or thoughts?
Thanks!

RedTele58 11-07-2014 06:47 PM

Easy. Bolt the seat your taking down in your passenger side. When you get to where your going, unbolt it, then bolt in the seat your taking back.

Even Dudley Dooright of the Canadian Mounties won't catch that. :D

Giller 11-07-2014 07:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RedTele58 (Post 424372)
Easy. Bolt the seat your taking down in your passenger side. When you get to where your going, unbolt it, then bolt in the seat your taking back.

Even Dudley Dooright of the Canadian Mounties won't catch that. :D

That would be a sweet idea....but the Porsche is all tucked away for it's long winters nap, so taking my daily driver.

LagerAle 11-08-2014 04:00 AM

simple. declare it. its 13% hst on value.

Timco 11-08-2014 04:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LagerAle (Post 424388)
simple. declare it. its 13% hst on value.

Oh, so THAT'S what this is aboot. I was wondering why the US or our hat would care about a seat traveling from there to here & back.

"A seat??? We don't want any Canadian owned seats or car parts down here competing with our junk yards...Now take off and get that crap back north, Hoser!!

"eh?"

NewArt 11-08-2014 04:50 AM

Anyway, if it's just a seat, you personal deduction (what is it $200?) should cover it. Check their web site.

Giller 11-08-2014 05:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Timco (Post 424390)
Oh, so THAT'S what this is aboot. I was wondering why the US or our hat would care about a seat traveling from there to here & back.

"A seat??? We don't want any Canadian owned seats or car parts down here competing with our junk yards...Now take off and get that crap back north, Hoser!!

"eh?"

As my car is an American car that came to the Great White North for the free health care, I'm simply returning the seat to it's roots. Besides, hopefully the person who may take the seat will be able to use it, as I will be able to use his.
So, you take off eh! Hosehead. :)

Giller 11-08-2014 05:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NewArt (Post 424392)
Anyway, if it's just a seat, you personal deduction (what is it $200?) should cover it. Check their web site.

Car parts seem to have a different set of rules. Was wondering if anyone else had tried. Won't be much either way - but there will he HST and duty - especially since the seat wasn't made in Mexico or the US.

Xpit77 11-09-2014 05:23 AM

You want to make sure those two seats match. If CBS spots it and they do look for those oddities in a vehicle, you may be late getting home. Just get a bill of sale sale. They may not even pull you over if your honest with them.