Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-16-2014, 08:27 AM   #1

anyone in Atlanta want to help ? Convertible top replacement

I have a 02 S and I recently purchased a used GAHH top on the frame. So the plan is to remove existing top/frame and bolt in the replacement. The replacement has a glass rear window. I've never done this job so looking for some helping hands that have. It can be a beer/BBQ/DIY event . I have decent amount of tools and a garage with a scissor lift just need an experienced hand so this gets done right the first time. Anyone out there ?

2002 Boxster S Arctic Silver with black top with glass window and black leather interior. Jake Raby 3.6 SS ( the beast ) with IMS Solution. 996 GT3 front bumper , GT3 rocker covers and GT3TEK rear diffuser and Joe Toth composites rear ducktail spoiler .
rfuerst911sc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2014, 04:50 AM   #2

Anyone ? If not I'll have to have a pro do it.
2002 Boxster S Arctic Silver with black top with glass window and black leather interior. Jake Raby 3.6 SS ( the beast ) with IMS Solution. 996 GT3 front bumper , GT3 rocker covers and GT3TEK rear diffuser and Joe Toth composites rear ducktail spoiler .
Old 10-18-2014, 05:46 AM   #3

From what I understand it is not a difficult job even for a novice. Do a little searching and put those tools and scissor lift (you won't need it for this) to work. There really is only one way to learn how to employ the tools and more about your car, take your time and start out the project well rested and not hungover......
coreseller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2014, 01:05 PM   #4

I agree it is not " supposed " to be difficult but having never done it you never know. Unfortunately I'm on a time line of getting it done next week as I have a boat coming that will occupy where the convertible top is currently residing. Found out today from a coworker that his brother in law is in the interior/conv. top business so might be an avenue. My schedule is pretty tight that is the real problem.
Old 10-18-2014, 05:13 PM   #5

Garage
Wayne Dempsey's "101 Things " book has a very good write up on replacing the top.
Phil C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2014, 06:41 PM   #6

I'm in Panama City Beach and would love to help. I've done this job 3 or 4 times. You really don't need an extra hand except to lift your old top off and set your new one in place. The whole job is an hour or less.
PM me, we can swap cell numbers and when you're ready, I'll walk you through it.
dghii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2014, 02:39 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by dghii View Post
I'm in Panama City Beach and would love to help. I've done this job 3 or 4 times. You really don't need an extra hand except to lift your old top off and set your new one in place. The whole job is an hour or less.
PM me, we can swap cell numbers and when you're ready, I'll walk you through it.
Sent you a PM. Thanks
Old 10-19-2014, 09:04 AM   #8

I'll give you a call in just a bit.

Good link for top/frame.

https://sites.google.com/site/mikefocke2/removingthetopandframe
dghii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2014, 12:49 PM   #9

Well looking over the instructions in the link I have decided to try and do this myself. The phone call didn't hurt either I appreciate that. I got the top cleaned up today and fixed the rear welting so I can fold it up and make room for the boat. Next weekend is grand kids weekend so it may have to wait until the following weekend. I'll let everyone know how it goes.
Old 10-20-2014, 06:06 PM   #10

i'm in atlanta and had mine done professionally. kinda glad i didn't tackle myself. it seemed difficult. had to stretch it ect. have to have special glue. just seems like a pain in the ars.

i went to an upholstery place off indian trail/ i-85. only a few hundred to do it.