986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   Vanity Mirror Sun Visor Install (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/54422-vanity-mirror-sun-visor-install.html)

Big Lar 10-12-2014 06:02 PM

Vanity Mirror Sun Visor Install

Is there a video or step by step instruction to remove and install new housing.
Bought two from Sunset,do I have to splice and solder new wires?
Help me.:confused:

MitchSF 10-13-2014 03:36 AM

Use a knife or plastic tool to pry out the old mirror housing. I believe there are two plastic hooks on each side that grab the visor. Check the new one for placement.

Remove the mirror from the old housing (it may be easier to do this first) and cut or unsolder the two wires. Solder them to the wires attached to the new housing and install, then replace the mirror.

The replacement parts come with bulbs and everything but the mirrors.

Big Lar 10-13-2014 07:48 PM

THX, Do I need to discount battery.

MitchSF 10-14-2014 03:18 AM

I didn't bother. If you short the two wires together a fuse will blow so if that's a worry, then disconnect the battery.

BirdDog 10-14-2014 04:31 AM

When I fixed my drivers side visor (replaced the broken mirror cover (flapper) with one from a new non-illuminated mirror assembly) I found removing the visor from the car made the process a lot easier. I think it's four torx screws (2 different sizes I think). Pulling the visor out removes any chance of shorting the wires and you can do any soldering on a bench/table instead of inside your car.

MitchSF 10-14-2014 05:29 AM

Good idea. That would make it easier.

randy7601 11-03-2014 03:21 PM

No, you don't have to solder. I used heat-shrink tubing instead. Slide a couple of inches of tubing over the wires, then twist the wire ends together tightly to make a good mechanical connection. Do the same with the other set of wires. Slide the heat-shrink tubing centered over the splice then warm it up with a hair dryer. Watch that the tubing doesn't move out of position from the forced air. The tubing will be true to its name and shrink nicely protecting and securing the splice.

To take the visor off the car, there are two T30 bolts on the outside and one T20 bolt under the flap by the rearview mirror.

JayG 11-03-2014 03:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by randy7601 (Post 423879)
No, you don't have to solder. I used heat-shrink tubing instead. Slide a couple of inches of tubing over the wires, then twist the wire ends together tightly to make a good mechanical connection. Do the same with the other set of wires. Slide the heat-shrink tubing centered over the splice then warm it up with a hair dryer. Watch that the tubing doesn't move out of position from the forced air. The tubing will be true to its name and shrink nicely protecting and securing the splice.

To take the visor off the car, there are two T30 bolts on the outside and one T20 bolt under the flap by the rearview mirror.

Not soldering is asking for a bad connection in the future. The wire will eventually oxidize and become a bad connection.

For a temporary connection, maybe. Permanent connection, no

MitchSF 11-03-2014 04:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JayG (Post 423889)
Not soldering is asking for a bad connection in the future. The wire will eventually oxidize and become a bad connection.

For a temporary connection, maybe. Permanent connection, no

Agreed. If you can't solder, at least use crimp connectors. There is enough room for them either wedged under the light, or inside near the bulb.

Pdwight 11-04-2014 04:18 AM

Learn to solder

Buy a soldering iron and practice, really easy. Everyone should know how to solder and use a VOM to some rudimentary degree.

JayG 11-04-2014 05:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pdwight (Post 423941)
Buy a soldering iron and practice, really easy. Everyone should know how to solder and use a VOM to some rudimentary degree.

+1

They are basic skills that will eventually be needed if you plan on working on your car.

You don't need to spend a lot of money for a soldering iron, a small inexpensive one should be fine for most work and if you search out coupons and ads for Harbor Frieght you can get a decent VOM for free!