Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-10-2014, 12:21 PM   #1

ELM 327 code reader

Another member posted a link to this wireless (blue tooth) OBDII reader. It was about $15.00 with shipping. Best buy for what it does. I get intermittent codes that are likely a vacuum leak. Durametric is to cumbersome and more than half the time will not connect. OBDII tool a bit bulky. With unit plugged in I pull out the Android phone and codes are reset. Several varieties of software on Google play for free with a fair amount of diagnostic info that displays on phone. Elm software instructions were worthless. Went to their website for direct download. Can't beat it for the price.

opus69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2014, 12:35 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by opus69 View Post
Durametric is to cumbersome and more than half the time will not connect.
Nonsense; about 2/3's of the problems people have with the Durametric system are self induced. I'd also like to see your $15 wonder clear ABS, PSM, or airbag codes, or activate your fuel pump, SAI system, or pull your alarm fault odes. We have also had various problem cars in the shop that the owner's could not find a code with a "global" OBD II scanner, and the Durametric promptly kicked out one or more codes.

Because of the unique diagnostic system they use, Porsche's are a pain in the butt to diagnose without a Porsche specific scan tool.....and in that arena, Durametric is the cheapest show in town.

Last edited by JFP in PA; 10-10-2014 at 12:41 PM.
JFP in PA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2014, 01:02 PM   #3

Don't get me wrong I have one and appreciate what it does even if it seems temperamental to me. It is just a lot easier to pull out the phone and reset these codes (1130 and 1128) if I remember correctly. Did not mean it could replace a Durametric but found it to be useful and quite handy to turn off those pesky CEL's.
opus69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2014, 01:06 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by opus69 View Post
Don't get me wrong I have one and appreciate what it does even if it seems temperamental to me. It is just a lot easier to pull out the phone and reset these codes (1130 and 1128) if I remember correctly. Did not mean it could replace a Durametric but found it to be useful and quite handy to turn off those pesky CEL's.
I'm sure it works fine for some codes, but suffers the limitations of all cheap "global" OBD II scanners when it comes to some serious system diagnostics, coding or system activations.