Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-01-2014, 09:51 AM   #1

Location: Seattle - It's not Hell, but you can see it from here!
used plastic window top - any value?

my shop just installed an '03 glass window top on my '01.

the original plastic window top canvas is in fair/good condition and i assume nothing is wrong with the frame. the plastic window is cracked/discolored and will need to be replaced.

i'd be willing to give it away, but not ship it. or the shop can strip and toss the canvas and then recycle the frame (scrap metal guy).

would this be of any value to anyone? should i hang onto it or just get rid of it?

2001 Porsche Boxster S
1988 Porsche 928 S4
Dave928 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 02:44 PM   #2

I would say post it in the classifieds and see if you get any bites, I have to think it has value to someone. I'm curious how did the install of the 03 onto your 01 go ? I assume a complete top/frame bolt in swap ?
2002 Boxster S Arctic Silver with black top with glass window and black leather interior. Jake Raby 3.6 SS ( the beast ) with IMS Solution. 996 GT3 front bumper , GT3 rocker covers and GT3TEK rear diffuser and Joe Toth composites rear ducktail spoiler .
rfuerst911sc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 06:42 PM   #3

i picked it up today and my tech had to swap a few pins (guide pins? hinge pins? don't know...) from the old frame to the new one, so the old frame is no longer complete. i think we're just going to scrap the old top.

yep, complete top. install went smooth. few hours to install and fit up. tech suggested replacing the drive cables and push rods, so we did that too. no more getting out of the car for the Boxster Chop. next project is a timer relay for one-touch operation.

tech also installed a 997 short shifter. feels like a new car

2001 Porsche Boxster S
1988 Porsche 928 S4

Last edited by Dave928; 10-01-2014 at 06:45 PM.
Old 10-03-2014, 06:12 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave928 View Post
yep, complete top. install went smooth. few hours to install and fit up. tech suggested replacing the drive cables and push rods, so we did that too. no more getting out of the car for the Boxster Chop. next project is a timer relay for one-touch operation.

tech also installed a 997 short shifter. feels like a new car
How much for the new top if you don't mind my asking? Parts labor and everything totaled up?
Laflamme02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 02:27 AM   #5

i found the top in a local wrecking yard through car-part.com.

the top was $1500. they delivered it to the shop. i asked how much extra for the motor and transmissions and they just threw them in (!). those 3 are about $1100 new at the dealer. so now i have spares.

new drive cables and push rods were $260.

shop time was 5 hours, $750.

so about $2500 + tax installed.

2001 Porsche Boxster S
1988 Porsche 928 S4

Last edited by Dave928; 10-07-2014 at 02:34 AM.
Old 10-07-2014, 07:16 AM   #6

Man, 5 hours seems like they took their time! Top/frame r/r takes about an hour. There are no parts that need to be swapped from old frame to new frame. If your car was a 97-99, one micro switch would be swapped.

Once the top is off, replacing motor, cables and transmissions is easy. As everything is very accessible. Alignment of the transmission is a little trial and error but can be done in 30 minutes pretty easy.

I'm sure you'll enjoy the top. It is a great upgrade!
dghii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 07:20 AM   #7

$1500 is kind of crazy. The entire wrecked car can be purchased on those wrecker sites for about $3K last I checked. Which is where I assume those Porsche dismantlers buy from.
It almost makes sense to buy one of wrecked Boxsters and just pull parts off it when they break on your running car.

BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote