986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   TPC light stays on (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/54289-tpc-light-stays.html)

kmag60 10-01-2014 07:20 AM

TPC light stays on

Hi everyone. I am new to the forum. Bought a 2007 Boxster recently and love the car. It only had 14,000 miles on it and is in very nice shape. BUT, once I started driving the car the TPC light came on and also the TPMS warning light? The light has now decided to stay on. I am assuming the sensors have a certain life expectancy and mine are shot. So, I called the nearest Porsche dealer (who is 100 miles away) and asked him what the repair costs would be...he stated over 900.00 to replace the four. Needless to say, I almost fell off my chair. So, I know a very reputable local shop and next week I am going to take the car to him and see what he says. What are your thoughts on this? Am I doing the correct thing not taking it to a Porsche dealer? There is no way in hades I am going to pay that kind of money for four sensors and a little labor. I know my local shop (which is very reputable) will cost much less then that (if he can do it). Any advice is appreciated.

Burg Boxster 10-01-2014 07:47 AM

You are correct in your approach. A year back I was faced w/ replacing the set of sensors in both my street and track tires at same time :eek: Believe me I searched for alternatives!

Anyhow, there are numerous aftermkt 'generic' TPMS suppliers which work great (typically w/ a longer battery life too as OEM are usually 4 years) and can be had for ~ $200 for a s/4. Just make sure you provide correct model info and RF if different options for MY.

When replacing just sensor/valve, most shops will 'key' tire to wheel. Then all they need to do is deflate, break bead, remove old / install new and re-inflate. No need to re-balance. Yes, harder to do w/ low profile tires and narrow wheels but these guys do it everyday and they were able to on my 19" wheels (both sets).

Once installed, it will take a few minutes for car to learn new sensors but they typically do so w/in 15minutes of driving and you're good to go after that.

In the 9x7.1 series it's a major PITA that once one sensor goes out the entire system reports failure and will not show pressures for any corner. Oh well, good problems we have as they say...

FWIW, the PIWIS system can query each sensor for "months of life remaining" but unless you know why one may have been replaced at a different time than another, it's best to treat like headlight bulbs and replace all at same time.

Good luck :)

PS - and don't cheap out buying used which people constantly trying to swindle others w/ on forums/ebay/etc. Particularly when you can get new for ~ $50 each (or less).

rp17 10-01-2014 06:48 PM

Tpms=pia....