986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   Winter is coming (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/54229-winter-coming.html)

Xpit77 09-27-2014 08:30 AM

Winter is coming

As titled winter is coming.Who`s driving their Boxster this winter ? To members who live where there is no snow please don`t respond or rub it in.

san rensho 09-27-2014 10:12 AM

Yeah!! Finally, I can start driving with the top down. I think I had the top down half a dozen times this summer. Also, winter is when all the DE events are held at Homestead.

Oops, I'm sorry, I wasn't supposed to rub it in.

MitchSF 09-27-2014 02:01 PM

Another month and I'll be driving with the top down. Still much too hot.

Sorry, wrong thread.

ep3_lol 09-27-2014 02:35 PM

Mine is kinda like the post office. I took it on vacation to Indianapolis and Dearborn this past February, on summer tires nonetheless! The car does not get put up for a season. May not risk it in the snow on these tires again though.

http://i.imgur.com/TtKI8bL.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/8sUebOm.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/jF8lHJZ.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/3FW1dnN.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/hOb2oM1.jpg

Steve Tinker 09-27-2014 04:07 PM

When I see pictures of winter as above ^^^^, it reminds me of when I lived in Europe and why I now live in subtropical Australia.
Oooops...... sorry Xpit

Giller 09-27-2014 04:45 PM

This will be my first year with my Box, but I will be putting it away shortly. Don't plan on using it in the ice and snow (and more specifically, the salt!) It's 12 years old - so it gets babied and gets to hibernate.
As for winter itself...love it! How can one truly appreciate summer without experiencing winter? It's like an oreo cookie. Summer is the delicious cream filling - but you need winter to hold it all together (ie winter is the cookie)

Jager 09-27-2014 06:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by san rensho (Post 419772)
Yeah!! Finally, I can start driving with the top down. I think I had the top down half a dozen times this summer. Also, winter is when all the DE events are held at Homestead.

Oops, I'm sorry, I wasn't supposed to rub it in.

What’s this “I can start driving with the top down”… What’s that all about? You mean to tell me you guys in Florida don’t get to drive with the top down during the summer?? That’s too bad. :cool:

JayG 09-27-2014 07:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jager (Post 419844)
What’s this “I can start driving with the top down”… What’s that all about? You mean to tell me you guys in Florida don’t get to drive with the top down during the summer?? That’s too bad. :cool:

I know, whats with "it's too hot for top down"?
Its been a hot summer here in San Diego a lot of high 90s and just the other day 105 and and I only put the top up when parking

steved0x 09-27-2014 07:47 PM

It was way too hot to put the too down for me here in N FL... Until Last week which was awesome, I picked up my gf's daughter from high school 3 days last week with the top down, she loved it and I earned points with her mom :)

Deserion 09-27-2014 08:48 PM

I only put the top-down during the summer when I don't have to really be anywhere and look presentable. ;) That, and don't have to deal with traffic lights (so I can keep a breeze going).

I have, though, put the top down when it was 34-degrees at night and everyone was looking at me like I was bats**t crazy. :D

JayG 09-27-2014 09:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deserion (Post 419854)
I only put the top-down during the summer when I don't have to really be anywhere and look presentable. ;) That, and don't have to deal with traffic lights (so I can keep a breeze going).

I have, though, put the top down when it was 34-degrees at night and everyone was looking at me like I was bats**t crazy. :D

Cold night, top down, leather jacket and heater on
PRICELESS

kjc2050 09-28-2014 03:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Xpit77 (Post 419766)
As titled winter is coming.Who`s driving their Boxster this winter ? To members who live where there is no snow please don`t respond or rub it in.

I've lived in Nebraska since buying my '00 S, but we relocated to North Carolina a month ago. My plan is to drive the car year round now, excepting days when it's really cold or when it snows. I'm a little concerned about driving it on cold road surfaces with my Pilot Sport 2's, but will take it easy on the throttle.

san rensho 09-28-2014 05:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jager (Post 419844)

Like they say, its not the heat, its the humidity. During the day, even with top up, my back sticks to the seat from sweat within 5 minutes of driving if i dont have the AC on.

Xpit77 09-28-2014 05:40 AM

Well, isn`t that special that some members from sunny states chimed in.Looks like I have to kick my sled dogs out of our Igloo and make room for the 986.

JayG 09-28-2014 06:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Xpit77 (Post 419872)
Well, isn`t that special that some members from sunny states chimed in.Looks like I have to kick my sled dogs out of our Igloo and make room for the 986.

You could just fit skis to it and have the dogs pull it

Joe B 09-28-2014 06:27 AM

I drive all winter here in Jackson Hole, except when the roads are really icy, or during a big snow storm. Then I use my F-250 4x4. The Boxster has Michelin A/S-3 tires year-round. Skis fit inside just fine ;).

Mark_T 09-28-2014 06:38 AM

Have any of you guys had a good look at the underside of a car that is winter-driven in a northern climate on salted roads for several years? It gets pretty bad. Everything corrodes, the bolts seize to the point where you need a torch and a sawzall to get them off, the park brake seizes up, salt and gravel gets in to all the little crevices and starts the rusting process on the surrounding metal, and the plastic bits snap like potato chips in the cold. Add to that the increased wear of starting an engine (with no block heater) at those temperatures and basically you are cutting the life of your car in half. I sure hope you don't leave your 160 thermostat in for the winter and if you do, good luck getting enough heat to defrost the windshield.

There is a good reason for driving a "beater" in the winter and I cannot understand why anyone would subject one of these amazing cars to that kind of sht and abuse. I see people posting pics of their cars buried in snowbanks like it's something to be proud of! What is the matter with these people? Is it that they don't understand what they are doing to the car, or do they just have such little respect and appreciation for it that they simply don't care?

But hey - it's your car, you paid for it, so if you want to destroy it that's is your privilege. And the less of them there are, the more mine is worth.

ep3_lol 09-28-2014 07:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark_T (Post 419879)
Have any of you guys had a good look at the underside of a car that is winter-driven in a northern climate on salted roads for several years? It gets pretty bad. Everything corrodes, the bolts seize to the point where you need a torch and a sawzall to get them off, the park brake seizes up, salt and gravel gets in to all the little crevices and starts the rusting process on the surrounding metal, and the plastic bits snap like potato chips in the cold. Add to that the increased wear of starting an engine (with no block heater) at those temperatures and basically you are cutting the life of your car in half. I sure hope you don't leave your 160 thermostat in for the winter and if you do, good luck getting enough heat to defrost the windshield.

There is a good reason for driving a "beater" in the winter and I cannot understand why anyone would subject one of these amazing cars to that kind of sht and abuse. I see people posting pics of their cars buried in snowbanks like it's something to be proud of! What is the matter with these people? Is it that they don't understand what they are doing to the car, or do they just have such little respect and appreciation for it that they simply don't care?

But hey - it's your car, you paid for it, so if you want to destroy it that's is your privilege. And the less of them there are, the more mine is worth.

I'd never drive it daily in those conditions, but occasional trips in the snow and salt are not really going to matter.

husker boxster 09-28-2014 07:46 AM

I put Blizzaks on the Cayman and drive it in the winter. Gets around great. I'm old enough now that if the weather is really bad, there's no where that I have to be. I have the option to work from home on snowy days but generally don't unless there's more than 4" of snow. I like to rub it in that I got to work and my wimpy co-workers didn't with their SUVs. But only if it's safe - no need to wreck my car proving a point.

Xpit77 09-28-2014 08:36 AM

Yes Mark if I lived in " Winterpeg " my 986 would be snug as a bug in my garage. But here in Southern ON winter is a different thing.Snow, thaw,snow thaw repeat. Plowed city streets only. I just retired so I don`t need to be anywhere asap. Your post reads like you haven`t shook off last winter. Man you guy`s had a tough one !:cheers: