986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   Becker CDR220 iPhone 5 adapter & AUX mode instructions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/54197-becker-cdr220-iphone-5-adapter-aux-mode-instructions.html)

Chris B 09-24-2014 04:42 PM

Becker CDR220 iPhone 5 adapter & AUX mode instructions

Not sure why I waited this long to make this upgrade. Ordered removal keys from Suncoast Parts and the adapter from Discount Car Stereo. Had to pull a little harder than expected to get the radio out, but once out it was as simple as plugging the adapter in, running/snaking the cord around to the front, and pushing the stereo back in.

The adapter I purchased was on the high side at $80, but provides charging as well and cord quality is superior:

iL-BKR Lightning Adapter for Becker Radios with "AUX" Menu Setting :: iPod Adapters & Interfaces

Link to the keys:

Porsche Radio Removal Tool:Porsche Parts & Porsche Accessories - Wholesale Porsche Parts & Tequipment

The hardest part was trying to find AUX mode, which isn't listed in the Becker manual (for 2001 anyway). So thought I'd repost what I found on Rennlist, posted in June 2012 by "Sentinelist." His post was a huge help:

"For future reference here, you hold down the TP button for 8 seconds until the screen says 'BECKER 1', turn the right dial until 'AUX OFF' appears on the screen, then press either button directly under the display for the arrows to change the setting from 'AUX OFF' to 'AUX ON'. Turn radio off. Turn radio on, AUX is now a source mode."

Hope this helps anyone searching the forum in the future when they're looking to make this upgrade.

http://986forum.com/forums/uploads01...1411605517.jpg

http://986forum.com/forums/uploads01...1411605550.jpg

BIGJake111 09-24-2014 05:17 PM

Just recently did this job myself, complete same experience, a nice easy way to keep the radio original and enjoy great tunes... I went a step ahead and got a yellow screen for my iPod to match the car though, cheers!

Porsche9 09-24-2014 07:08 PM

Did this recently too. I wanted to keep the factory stereo but add some modern features. Nice write up.

Giller 09-25-2014 05:37 AM

Nice timing on your post....mine just came in the mail today! Looks super easy to do and keeps the clean lines of the stock radio in place.

Perfectlap 09-25-2014 09:56 AM

Is this compatible with Tranzit Blu? eliminates the need to use an aux plug.
Stereo pairs up directly with your iPhone/Android device.

I ordered this but it's still sitting on my coffee table...

MN 986 09-25-2014 04:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Perfectlap (Post 419513)
Is this compatible with Tranzit Blu? eliminates the need to use an aux plug.
Stereo pairs up directly with your iPhone/Android device.

I ordered this but it's still sitting on my coffee table...

I installed the Tranzit Blu Bluetooth adapter a few weeks ago. It connects and works great, but I have a little ground loop interference to resolve (whining that matches rpm). If I recall, I think it is usually related to the quality or location of the ground. Any ideas?

Giller 09-25-2014 06:26 PM

Hey...so I put this in, works great....but....I can't figure out where to have the cable come out. It's not pretty where it is right now. Maybe in better lighting I could find it....but any suggestions are welcome!

Bulldog 02-02-2015 02:59 PM

I went with this adaptor. (USB)
It works with all iphones and some droids too.
USB-BKR USB Charging and Playback Adapter for select Becker Radios :: iPod Adapters & Interfaces

dghii 02-02-2015 04:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Giller (Post 419576)
Hey...so I put this in, works great....but....I can't figure out where to have the cable come out. It's not pretty where it is right now. Maybe in better lighting I could find it....but any suggestions are welcome!

I drilled a small hole in the 'batwing' and mounted a panel mout mini plug receptacle.
Very under the radar in the looks department.

dghii 02-02-2015 04:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bulldog (Post 434346)
I went with this adaptor. (USB)
It works with all iphones and some droids too.
USB-BKR USB Charging and Playback Adapter for select Becker Radios :: iPod Adapters & Interfaces

Nice, but that's a very expensive phone charger!

When ipods first came out, I did my best to integrate them into my car audio. My best effort was in a 2003 BMW Z4. My ipod sat in the center console and charged while plugged in. I had a wireless (RF) remote that allowed me to control the ipod without pulling it from the console. The worst part of the install was getting rid of electrical noise from the charging circuit.

As devices have become more efficient, the need to keep them charged constantly has diminished. A device streaming music easily runs for 8-10 hours...longer than I can drive in one sitting.

Now I use Bluetooth, but even when I went in an AUX port, I didn't worry about charging.

rdass623 02-02-2015 04:28 PM

did this to my car also. it worked until i decided to change out the stereo with a blaupunkt san francisco so i could control the ipod through the stereo head unit.

one more thing, if you keep an empty pack of cigarettes on the top of the ipod, it greatly reduces the chance of having your top slashed to steal the ipod if stored in the dash cubby hole.

barkinfool 02-02-2015 05:30 PM

For you guys that have put in the lightning connector adapter with the Becker, can you confirm that it plays audio with just that connector? I have an older solution that allowed me to play by connecting the headphone jack to the AUX, but I could never charge through the older 30 pin connector. So, only one wire that both charges & plays music through the lightning & the headphone port is not used?

Thanks.

barkinfool 02-04-2015 06:36 PM

bump, any comments?

Giller 02-05-2015 03:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by barkinfool (Post 434383)
For you guys that have put in the lightning connector adapter with the Becker, can you confirm that it plays audio with just that connector? I have an older solution that allowed me to play by connecting the headphone jack to the AUX, but I could never charge through the older 30 pin connector. So, only one wire that both charges & plays music through the lightning & the headphone port is not used?

Thanks.

I have the lightning connector - plays and charges my iPod just fine. You do lose your CD changer and you have to activate the "Aux" function on the radio. The radio though does not control the ipod - have to use the ipod directly for that.

jeepdad 02-05-2015 09:04 AM

I know this is an old thread but I have a follow-up question. Is this adapter only good for those units with an "AUX" menu? My 99 Boxster has the single-disc stereo.

barkinfool 02-05-2015 04:54 PM

Jeepdad -

I also have the single disc version of the Becker in my '02 Boxster. But mine & likely yours as well does have an AUX mode, but you have to enable it. There is an explanation of how to earlier in this thread, so read this thread & should find clear instructions. Hope this helps.

barkinfool 02-05-2015 04:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Giller (Post 434785)
I have the lightning connector - plays and charges my iPod just fine. You do lose your CD changer and you have to activate the "Aux" function on the radio. The radio though does not control the ipod - have to use the ipod directly for that.

Thanks Giller, but can you also confirm you don't use the headphone jack to play - it just uses the lightning connector & that is all needed to play through the Becker?

Giller 02-06-2015 03:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by barkinfool (Post 434895)
Thanks Giller, but can you also confirm you don't use the headphone jack to play - it just uses the lightning connector & that is all needed to play through the Becker?

No headphone jack. Just that one lightning cable does the trick to charge and play. Just be aware of how your ipod is set up and where it is sitting. My iPod is somehow set to skip songs when it's shaken. So, sometimes when I hit a bump, it will skip around a bit.

barkinfool 02-06-2015 04:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Giller (Post 434964)
No headphone jack. Just that one lightning cable does the trick to charge and play. Just be aware of how your ipod is set up and where it is sitting. My iPod is somehow set to skip songs when it's shaken. So, sometimes when I hit a bump, it will skip around a bit.

Awesome Giller, appreciate the confirmation!