Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-23-2014, 07:30 PM   #1

Boxster not starting properly

Many days the car starts normally. Other days I can turn the key, lights come on, but there is no clicking and the engine doesn't even try to turn over. I will turn the key and hold it for more than 5 seconds and nothing. Sometimes the second time I turn the key it will start and sometimes it takes as many as five times. Sometimes when I turn the key it feels like it turns too far.

The dealer has checked the battery, alternator, clutch switch and says they can't find a problem. They kept it for a week and said it started no problem for them every day.

The problem happens most frequently after it has been sitting overnight or when the engine is cold. It is usually starts on the first try if it has been running and the engine is warm.

Does this sound like the ignition switch? The starter? I've also read the cables that run to the starter/alternator can cause this, but it seems like that is usually when the car is warm.

I have a '99 Boxster 5 spd with 135k miles.

charlesd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 07:54 PM   #2
Damn Yankee

Garage
It may be an ignition switch issue.

When electrics go wonky, it's a logical place to start. Not expensive either.

DIY here:

Replace Ignition Switch

Just sayin'............

TO
TeamOxford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 08:11 PM   #3
I am my own mechanic....

Thought I had a starting issue until I realized I was not pegging the clutch to the floor.
Timco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 11:05 AM   #4

I recently purchased a 2003 S and the records showed the owner had similar starting problems to yours. When I brought the car home the 1st day, it wouldn't start and I eventually traced it to the clutch interlock switch. I bent it and it started fine for a few weeks then conked out again. I've now permanently zip-tied the switch closed so no more starting issues.

The previous owner had already changed the switch (amongst a bunch of other things) but apparently they are problematic. My Porsche mechanic friend says he sees this all the time, even on replaced switches.

Luckily it's an easily-accessible switch and easy to fix too. I got my Boxster S below market value because the previous owner got fed up with trying to fix this!

robbiex1 is offline   Reply With Quote