986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   Car just died no start/run (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/54154-car-just-died-no-start-run.html)

j911brick 09-21-2014 11:32 AM

Car just died no start/run

My car just flat out died. Just pulled out of a parking lot and it died at about 30mph. Would not restart when I tried to bump it. Starter does not turn motor over. Not even a click. Durametric says "cannot communicate". All dash lights, windows, roof etc. work as normal. The only thing I can figure is the alarm failed. Anybody have any other opinions.

rp17 09-21-2014 02:02 PM

Is the battery good? When mine died, windows, radio etc still had power.

Paul 09-21-2014 02:17 PM

Ignition switch?

j911brick 09-21-2014 02:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rp17 (Post 419011)
Is the battery good? When mine died, windows, radio etc still had power.

Hum, I think the battery is good. Ill test it in a minute. Somebody else said the same thing. But to die when just driving down the road? Then not even a click from the starter? Did yours do exactly that?

We were figuring it is the immobilizer and we will test it on another car tomorrow, assuming I get the engine back in that car. Otherwise I will test his in my car.

j911brick 09-21-2014 07:32 PM

Latest development. Found fuse C1 (engine electronics) blown. Keeps blowing every time you turn ignition on. Any ideas?

seningen 09-21-2014 07:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by j911brick (Post 419053)
Latest development. Found fuse C1 (engine electronics) blown. Keeps blowing every time you turn ignition on. Any ideas?

Bad ignition switch???

Maybe a short

Contact either get new or contact itsanova in Bastrop
For used

Mike

j911brick 09-21-2014 07:48 PM

Fuse does not blow when DME disconnected. Are there any wiring diagrams on line? SO power to the DME is ok. Its something that goes hot when the DME is turned on.

j911brick 09-22-2014 04:27 PM

So what does the DME turn on when the ignition is turned on? I;m thinking fuel pump.

Paul 09-22-2014 04:49 PM

Fuel pump has it's own fuse.

What year, model, and tranny?

What was the last thing you did or change to the car?

rp17 09-22-2014 05:09 PM

Well, when my fuel pump went, I was on the freeway doing about 65 or so fiddling with radio. Car just died so I pit the blinkers on and crossed the other lanes in a hurry. Still had power to everything else. But after trying to start a few times, the car quit turning over.

When the battery died, it still had enough juice to pop open the trunk. Lucky me that night. Went through the dead bat drills and I was on the road a couple hours later.

j911brick 09-22-2014 05:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul (Post 419186)
Fuel pump has it's own fuse.

What year, model, and tranny?

What was the last thing you did or change to the car?

Its a 98 with a 5sp. Last thing I did was probably over a year ago. The car has been pretty reliable so I don't really work on it.

j911brick 09-22-2014 06:38 PM

SO here is what have figured out. Its probably a component on the engine. With the DME disconnected the fuse does not blow. SO I hooked up the DME and unplugged the white and black multipin connectors. If either one of the connectors is unplugged the fuse will not blow. Only when they are both connected does the fuse blow.

j911brick 09-23-2014 06:10 PM

So here s what happened. Today we tested the DME in another car and it worked fine. SO again my suspicion was something in the engine compartment. SO I started disconnecting everything in the engine compartment that I could reach. I tuned on the ignition and the fuse was ok. So I started putting it back together one item at a time , checking the fuse with each item I plugged back in. By the time I was done everything was plugged back in and nothing blew the fuse. The bad part s I really dont know what it was and it could happen again.

jones904 07-19-2020 05:37 AM

Same problem, long work to find C1 blown then good for half day. Now sitting dead as fuse repeatedly blows. Found this forum on hope and applied history: 1-3 bank Vcam solenoid went bad 6 mo ago, cant afford to pull motor and replace with an expensive faulty part so just put up w idling rough. AFTER reading this, aha maybe solenoid has failed worse to a short. Pulled rr wheel and clipped wire. Starts right up no blown fuse! THANK YOU I can go home now. Promise myself only one more failure and shes going to the scrap yard.

Geof3 07-22-2020 09:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jones904 (Post 620800)
Same problem, long work to find C1 blown then good for half day. Now sitting dead as fuse repeatedly blows. Found this forum on hope and applied history: 1-3 bank Vcam solenoid went bad 6 mo ago, cant afford to pull motor and replace with an expensive faulty part so just put up w idling rough. AFTER reading this, aha maybe solenoid has failed worse to a short. Pulled rr wheel and clipped wire. Starts right up no blown fuse! THANK YOU I can go home now. Promise myself only one more failure and shes going to the scrap yard.

I don’t remember which fuse it was, but had a short in wiring of one of my O2 sensors. They are on the same circuit as the fuel rail. Once sorted, all good. 02 3.2

Brian Minson 07-23-2020 07:45 PM

Maybe this video will help you or someone else in the future.

https://youtu.be/ZSmehtE8Ctk

Brian :)