Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-13-2014, 09:24 AM   #1

Talking Stock head unit died, and I'm thrilled about it!

My stock head unit died a couple weeks ago, so I replaced it this week with a Kenwood KDC-258U unit that I found on sale for $89.99.

I removed the stock Bose amps and wired the head unit directly to the existing speakers. The installation really couldn't have been much easier, especially after I found the PDF showing what each of the existing head unit's wires routed to (i.e. IGN, ground, FL+, FL-, etc.). I wasn't going for audiophile-quality sound, although I could always replace the stock speakers and add a couple amps if I wanted to go that route. But I'm very happy with the sound nonetheless, AND I removed weight (the Bose amps) while adding functionality (the Kenwood unit has a built-in iPod adapter and connects automatically to Pandora as well).

Couple that with the new unit's ability to customize the display color to pretty closely match my other gauges, and I'm really happy about the stock head unit's failure! (I even get turn-by-turn navigation through the speakers via my iPhone, which means no more having to choose between using my Valentine 1 and my Magellan standalone GPS unit in the cigarette lighter.)

Best $90 I've spent on the car since I bought it!

Last edited by Banana S; 09-13-2014 at 11:00 AM.
Banana S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2014, 09:27 AM   #2

Oh, and if anyone needs to replace their stock Bose amps or CD changer, just shoot me a PM and make me an offer. I have no use for either of them.
Old 09-14-2014, 06:00 AM   #3

Garage
Just installed a similar Kenwood unit. What 's the advantage of bypassing the Bose amps? I don't think I did....
Thanks
Phil C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 11:37 AM   #4

I'm curious too why you bypassed the bose amp? Even considering the age - it's still a pretty decent amp, especially in a stock setup.
Old 09-15-2014, 03:09 PM   #5

For my purposes, it was just taking up space and adding weight. The Kenwood unit by itself provides all the power I need. I might just list the amps in the for sale section and recoup some of the cost of the head unit too.

Last edited by Banana S; 09-15-2014 at 03:11 PM.
Banana S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 03:21 PM   #6

I replaced my stero in my TT but love the bose. It sound light years better than the boxster with upgraded hu and front speakers (non bose).