Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-17-2003, 06:50 PM   #1
Forum Contributor

CD noise?

Anyone hear crackling noises from their CDs? I have a '99 986 with the factory changer up front. Seems to be consistent on various CDs.

555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2003, 04:12 AM   #2
Regional Moderator

I get some on my old, scratched CD's and some CD-R's. I figure the noise is what happens when the laser can't read 98% or better of the CD surface. (By the way, Plexus works miracles not only for our back windows, but also for scratched CD's and DVD movies)

It could also be a sign that your laser is tracking a little bit out of spec--I would assume this if the noise occurs consistently with new CD's.
CharlesGordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2003, 04:51 PM   #3
Forum Contributor

I think it may be the speakers. I hear a little bit of static when adjusting the volume too. Hmmm...
Old 10-21-2003, 07:47 AM   #4

You might want to double-check that your radio connections are fully attached. Poor ground connection can cause all sorts of funny symptoms. You've got quite a mixed bag of them here - I'd start by trying the most basic stuff first.
Old 10-28-2003, 05:47 PM   #5

In fact, I have been experiencing the same knd of crackling/scratchy noise frrom my factory cd changer. I did not hear anything from the indash single player unit. I thought it was my disc at first, but it happens at random, on any disc, any track. I wonder if it is worth bring it in to the dealer for service, and watch them scratch their heads... Has anyone found a way to fix it? My dealer service rep said they'll replace it under warranty if found to be defective.
tomatjs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2003, 06:37 PM   #6
Forum Contributor

I'm taking it in...

I'm taking mine to the dealer in about 2 weeks. My Porsche warranty is now expired, but I have an extended warranty through another company. I wonder how that will work. It is a bumper to bumper warranty that is pretty extensive. Guess we'll see.

But, I notice this with the unit itself. Radio, CD, etc. Happens when changing discs, volume, stations, etc. Fairly intermittent.