986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   Break wear light, what are the best pads? (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/53958-break-wear-light-what-best-pads.html)

newob 09-05-2014 04:42 PM

Break wear light, what are the best pads?

Well, I was going driving about 120 mph and my break wear light came on. When it came on I don't think I was touching the breaks although I might have just barely. Anyway I down shifted and made it home and have been looking up pads and replacement sensors since.

Can anyone give me some advice on some really good pads? since I have the S model, it already has the bigger rotors, but I want some really good pads that don't get dust everywhere.
I saw somewhere mentioned that Pagid is a good brand. Can anyone recommend the exact brakes to get? i would like to replace them all. Also can someone recommend where to get new sensors?

It is important to note that it did rain all day and my car was parked outside, but this was after it had stopped raining and I had been driving for a while.
:matchup:

If I follow pelican parts instructions and very carefully test the brakes, is it safe to do the work my self? (I have the impact wrench, the jack, the jack stands etc)

jsceash 09-05-2014 05:04 PM

You'll find the Pagid pads a little pricey the standard ceramics are around $180 an axle. I found the EBC Red pads better than the stock pad for around $110 per axle if you shop. part # DP31208 rear, DP31514 front. Try you local dealer for the wire sets they will be about $20 a set or around $15 and shipping on Ebay.

rdass623 09-05-2014 08:56 PM

i have replaces the brakes on my 00 boxy base with a power stop kit. rotors, sensors and ceramic pads. all in all it ran me about 320 or so. I have noticed there is hardly any brake dust on my wheels (which I used to need to wash every3 days before) and these brakes are super quiet. my car is a daily driver which is used almost exclusively in the city. I also have a spirited driving style so the brakes are stressed from time to time. in my opinion bang for the buck, the brake motive power stop brakes are hard to beat.

Timco 09-06-2014 04:48 AM

You want ceramic. Very little dust, quiet.

runjmc2 09-06-2014 06:03 AM

Changing the brakes is an easy job. I elected to have my indy do the brake fluid flush after the new brakes broke in. Good thing, the fluid was really old and a few of the nipples were seized and had to be replaced. After seeing how the wear indicators work, I would not have a problem driving it around a bit after the light goes on….not for months but I certainly would not pull over and call a flatbed...

san rensho 09-06-2014 11:15 AM

Mintex pads are great. They are the cheapest of the Orem pads. Their coefficient of friction is better than the very expensive Brembo and they don't dust very much. If you drive on the street, I wouldn't waste my money on race pads. The factory brakes on these cars are fantastic.

Coaster 09-06-2014 04:42 PM

I haven't had to change mine yet but I have a note in my file to go with ceramic next time Again no experience yet but I have Hawk ceramic in my notes.

opus69 09-06-2014 07:27 PM

I replaced pads and rotors at about 45,000 mi. Checked out the Pagid pads but they were pricey and were recommended if I were racing. I do not track the Boxster but I sure want to be able to stop quickly when I need to. Went with EBC yellow pads and happy so far.

Pdwight 09-06-2014 10:14 PM

I like "Red Stuff"