986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   Here's a new one!! (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/53931-heres-new-one.html)

dbear61 09-02-2014 09:20 PM

Here's a new one!!

So over two weeks ago, my trunk suddenly won't open (on a Sunday). No warning signs of impending problems, it just won't open. I'm with a friend, and we have newly purchased fishing tackle in the trunk, so this is a problem.

A quick search gives me the way to open the trunk, but no long term solution. Drop it off on Monday at my local Indy. "We'll call when it's ready."

Wednesday I call them, "Just want to know what's going on." Owner: "Called dealer, gave VIN and they sent pic. Doesn't look the same, but they insist it's the right part. Wasn't the right part. New part pending. Called Friday for status, still waiting for part, due Monday (one week).

Wait until the following Tuesday to get update. New part arrived, it isn't quite right. ARRRGGGHHH

Friday call: Went to dealership with part from your car. Looked through catalogue and found it. It's from a different model year!!! How does that happen? Clean Carfax, no accidents reported, yet the trunk release activator installed in the doesn't belong to the car according to Porsche. The part that does belong in the car doesn't fit.

Finally got it back today after two weeks!

2001 S. Early in the model year and caught in transition? Late in the model year and caught? Or unreported damage to the rear that required a complete overhaul, and the repair shop used other model year replacements?\

DBear

Porsche9 09-02-2014 09:58 PM

That's a bummer. I made it a habit back in the day were possible to bring the part along to the parts counter to ensure a match cause I got burned so many times but with Porsche that's not always convenient. Here in the huge Phoenix metro there is one dealer that is a 78 miles round trip.

jb92563 09-03-2014 05:49 AM

I guess the "No accidents reported" leaves a lot of room for DIY repairs while keeping the resale value up without reported accidents.

I know of a few Boxsters where the owner damaged his own car by accident and
did the repairs on his own, leaving the vehicles records without incident.

Always bring the part to the order desk is what I like to do as well, saves on return trips.

Nothing to fret over, and perhaps the part manual that your mechanic was using is wrong, its not unheard of.

Deserion 09-03-2014 06:04 AM

Any photos of the previously-installed part?

Timco 09-03-2014 07:09 PM

I just swaged the wire back together with new wire around the catch post.

dbear61 09-03-2014 07:39 PM

Just to clarify a few things, I wasn't doing the repair myself. It was the indy, and it was the Porsche Dealership Parts department that insisted they were sending the right part based on the VIN. Fortunately, the indy shop and the dealership are both within two miles of my house.

I could ask the Indy for photos of the replaced part, but I'm guessing he threw it away. I'll check tomorrow.

DBear