Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-28-2014, 04:20 PM   #1

stuck in reverse- shifter limp

OK the weekend started today when I got out of work but the thrill of the long weekend quickly eroded. Started the 02 S and put it in reverse to back out of my parking spot all was well. I stopped and tried to move it out of reverse to first and the shifter just went soft there is no resistance moving forward and back. Can't move the shifter towards the neutral plane. I popped the shifter boot/cover off and gave it a quick look nothing obvious. To me it feels like the shifter cable has fallen off. I had AAA tow it to my house I'll get her on my lift this weekend. So what do you think I'm looking for ? Anyone have this happen to them ? Car drives great in reverse .

2002 Boxster S Arctic Silver with black top with glass window and black leather interior. Jake Raby 3.6 SS ( the beast ) with IMS Solution. 996 GT3 front bumper , GT3 rocker covers and GT3TEK rear diffuser and Joe Toth composites rear ducktail spoiler .
rfuerst911sc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 04:34 PM   #2

Passenger side of car, mounted on the side of the transmission are two "Clips" that hold shifter cables in place. One of your cables popped out, simply press it back into place until you feel it click. You will most likely have to jack up the car, very easy fix.
coreseller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 05:01 PM   #3

Thank you !
2002 Boxster S Arctic Silver with black top with glass window and black leather interior. Jake Raby 3.6 SS ( the beast ) with IMS Solution. 996 GT3 front bumper , GT3 rocker covers and GT3TEK rear diffuser and Joe Toth composites rear ducktail spoiler .
Old 08-29-2014, 06:34 AM   #4

It's a common Boxster/911 problem, mine broke recently but the part is cheap and you will have to remove the centre console to get at the linkage. This will tell you all you need to know: http://986forum.com/forums/general-discussions/16924-shift-linkage-broken.html
Old 08-29-2014, 06:37 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nimbus117 View Post
It's a common Boxster/911 problem, mine broke recently but the part is cheap and you will have to remove the centre console to get at the linkage. This will tell you all you need to know: http://986forum.com/forums/general-discussions/16924-shift-linkage-broken.html
Is this something that is exclusive to Manual transmissions, or does it happen with the Tips as well? Wondering if this is something I need to learn.
Old 08-29-2014, 08:16 AM   #6
Registered Boxster abuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giller View Post
Is this something that is exclusive to Manual transmissions, or does it happen with the Tips as well? Wondering if this is something I need to learn.
linkage is totally different on a tip.
healthservices is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 12:49 PM   #7

Today I got her on the lift and checked the cables on the transmission all was good. So I tried to pull the center console with no luck. I removed the screws but there must be a secret on how the console is removed. The shifter cable has become unlodged from the shifter. So I need to research the fix. The good news is I found .40 in the console .
Old 08-31-2014, 12:56 PM   #8

Well Crud!! Sorry my solution wasn't the answer.

A link to address what you want:

Pelican Technical Article: Installing a Boxster Short Shift Kit (SSK) and Replacing Boxster Shift Bushings - 986 / 987

coreseller is offline   Reply With Quote